View Single Post
Old 04-15-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyW View Post

The sports therapist suggested manual myofascial and said my massage therapist was only doing trigger point releases.The references to myofascia and trigger point releases seems to overlap, so it's all very confusing, I'm reading Wikipedia and in a 2008 review I thought OK a recent study. BUT it makes no sense to me. . .
Hi Sandy, myofascial release is a very basic manual therapy modality that is widely used by many health professionals (Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Physicians, Doctors of Osteopathic Medicine that have been board certified in Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine, Physical Therapists, etc.).

I'll PM you the name of a great physician that does manipulative therapy in your area.

Quote:
What I wanted to ask you guys before I talk to the doctor - The nerve block or a possible ablation may take care of the nerves, if that what's causing the pain, but what should be done with the muscle pain, or Will muscle pain go away if the nerve block works? If not, can they do trigger point injections along with nerve blocks? Should I try manual myofascial release during the nerve blocks. I'm going to the massage therapist tomorrow, Will that cause a problem while the nerve blocks are being done. You always think of questions after you leave and even if you have questions it's hard to get them to answer - your on your tummy with your face in a hole and nobody listens to you - I could hear the doctors talk and tried but no luck.
The muscle pain should improve secondary to the nerve block. However, I personally believe that you are going to have to address those muscles as well. The massage therapist (in my opinion, of course) will not cause a problem when your nerve blocks are done. If anything, the massage will help remove waste that is "sitting" in the fibrotic, chronically inflamed muscles. Essentially, the massage will be a good thing because it will "prep" the area and hopefully decrease inflammation, improve lymphatics to remove waste products and set up a more favorable environment in which the block will be located.

Quote:
I want to be more prepared before I see the doctor again and will request to see him or his "fellow" before the injection.
Fellows have a lot of training under their belts. They've been through medical school, their residency training and now are pursuing additional training through a fellowship. If it makes you feel better, you could request to have both the attending and the fellow in the room and ask all of your questions and concerns, so you are all on the same page and you feel absolutely comfortable in your care and treatment.

Quote:
Well thanks for any advice, not sure I make a lot of sense. Sandy
Good luck Sandy...I'll send you a PM as well. BTW, these are all very good questions to be asked.
Laminotomy L4/L5 (3.7.97--17 years old)
1999 & 2003 MVA (not at fault both times)
Grade V Tears L4/L5 & L5/L6
2-Level ProDisc® L4/L5 & L5/L6* *lumbosacral transitional vertebra (11.15.03--23 years old)
Dr. Rudolf Bertagnoli -- dr-bertagnoli.com
Pain-free for the last 4.5 yrs.
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
I'm here to help. Only checking PMs currently.