View Single Post
Old 04-16-2009, 09:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to Nairek
Cool 12 Week Post-Op Visit

I went down to NYC today to see Dr. Bitan for my 12 week post op visit. It was so nice to walk into the office & have the staff greet us with smiles & treat us like they knew us for years.

I had another set of x-rays taken & then went back downstairs & was promptly seen by Dr. Bitan. This was nice because there were a few times we waited for over an hour to see him. The office was about empty today.

So I hawked over his shoulder to look at the x-rays with him. I told him that it just looks downright freaky to me & his response was "no, it is beautiful". I laughed & told him I don't think I could ever get use to seeing & knowing that I have that hardware in my body.

The good news is that the fusion & the hardware looks good. I am free from the bone growth stimulator that I had been wearing 24/7 for the past 10 weeks. I can now begin exercising on my own to strengthen up my muscles. I have had so many rounds of physical therapy for my back that I can basically do it at home.

I told Dr. Bitan that I still have that stabbing/tearing feeling in the lower left side of my back. The bad news is that he feels that this is being caused by a muscle getting caught on the head of one of the screws. He said that this could go away in about a year & that if it's a huge problem, it may have to come out. He didn't seem too concerned by it & I honestly don't want to go under the knife again any time soon. I should have teased him & asked why he didn't counter-sink them but didn't think about it until we got home.

Basically, I am free & clear from having to go back to see him unless I have problems. I told him about our plans to move to Florida & he said I have his number if I start to have problems. Just call him & we'll figure something out. Which is nice since I told him I didn't want anyone other than him touching my back.

So I guess we'll just have to wait & see what life throws at me. I pray that this stabbing pain goes away. Cuz once that's gone, I will be a much happier camper!

Karin
Disc Bulge C4/C5, Disc Degeneration T11/T12, Bi-Lateral tears L5/S1, Diagnosed w/ Lumbar Disc Derangement w/ Radiculopaphy. Treatment: IDET, Percutaneous Discectomy, SI Joint Injection, Facet Block. All failed. Empire BC/BS Denied Coverage for ADR-lost all of my appeals. MVP also denied coverage.

Anterior/Posterior Fusion L5/S1 -1/20/09