View Single Post
Old 04-22-2009, 06:41 PM

I had an ALIF on Feb 10th. The surgery and hospital stay of two days wasn't too horrible and the pain was kept in check. It's taking a long time to recover, mainly because of nerve issues, but I'm much less pain than I was before surgery.

I used very little pain medication, maybe two Vicodin/day, not because I'm stoic but because I never found one that agreed with me. After the first 3 weeks, I quit using it altogether. For the first six weeks, I pretty much stuck around the house but I've recently taken a trip to Seattle (painful but do-able) and then one to Hawaii which was better. I didn't really do anything there, just walked to my lounge chair and back, but still had a good time.

At two months, the Xrays say I'm half fused and have been given the OK to take Advil but I don't take much of it..maybe 2 or 3/day. I just want to get this sucker fused ASAP. I take no meds other than a 2mg Valium for sleep. I can sit through a movie, restaurant, etc. I can stand up for hours but probably couldn't work as a chef yet because of the bending and lifting. I still feel 'tender'. Walking two miles/day. I'm in some pain and still have some leg numbness when I walk but it's subsiding. I don't ever feel like they're going to 'give' on me anymore.

Good luck, hope this helps.
Adrienne