View Single Post
Old 04-22-2009, 07:50 PM

Hey Cathy, see the bolded text below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by treefrog View Post
Well, I am still waiting for a surgery date. Perhaps Dr. Fenk-Mayer decided to take some vacation time too.

I'm thinking that this is what it is. They are usually SWAMPED with patients from all over the world. Vacation is extremely rare for Drs. Bertagnoli an Fenk-Mayer.

Yesterday I talked to the ortho surgeon that I consulted with back in December. He said he does not like to take on other surgeon's "problems". So, if I were to need follow-up care after surgery, he wouldn't do it. Well, that's disappointing. I hope my PM doctor will continue to see me, and will prescribe medications for whatever I might need to take with me.

Find another surgeon to follow you. Better yet, Dr. Bertagnoli will probably suggest one that he has trained or knows well in your area. Keep your head up. Your PM should be sympathetic, but definitely find a surgeon for follow-up (X-rays, etc.).

Of course he tried to talk me out of going to Germany. He said he thought I could get two-level ADR, and pay out of pocket here in the US for less than $40,000. HA! He also said there were no results to prove that 2-level disc replacement (ADR) is any better than 2-level fusion. He said fusion is not perfect, but neither is ADR, and he thinks that if you are going to have problems after surgery, it wouldn't matter if you have fusion or ADR. Basically saying that some people are just going to have problems no matter what surgery they have.

40k...hehe... 2-level fusions are devastating operations on adjacent levels in a significant amount of cases with patients that are young and lead relatively active lifestyles. True... both fusion and ADR have problems. However if patient selection, appropriate pre-op diagnostic bases are covered and an experienced surgeon are in the mix, one's outcome is favorable with ADR. ADR is not a fix-all operation, and I think most of us know this on this forum. In many cases it's the "better" option among the few options we have as spine patients facing surgical intervention.

My interpretation of the above opinions - first he is only basing his opinions on results from US investigations (clinical trials and surgeries). He even told me at our consult that he there isn't much reliable data coming from Europe, because they don't have the same standards that we do. And if I look at just US results, I don't think it looks very good either, which is why I want to go to Germany.

True, the German studies vary greatly. However, this doesn't mean that we should completely throw out that data. US results are better in the short-term in regard to VAS/oswestry, return to work, range of motion, etc. Long-term results are still up in the air.

Then he said that if it were him, he would choose 2-level fusion over 2-level ADR, and hybrid over 2-level fusion.

In my opinion, this is nonsense. I spoke with a surgeon this weekend about my situation and he agreed that as an active, 23-year-old at the time of my surgery that he would have done the same (picked the 2-level ADR as opposed to fusion). He agreed that I would have significantly greater issues and have had many more surgeries by now. However, I do know that my 3rd surgery coming up will not be the last in my life.

Cathy, he is just talking about what he knows. ADR is still in its infancy and many surgeons dismiss it right off the bat.

I didn't get around to saying one of the other reasons for going to Germany was experience. He mentioned that he has done about a dozen hybrid surgeries. That is laughable. Compared to the thousands of ADR surgeries Dr. Bertagnoli has done. But, at least I didn't have to get into it with him.

IMHO, experience is the MOST IMPORTANT factor in the surgical equation. For example, the one of the great things about Dr. Bertagnoli is that he will do a discogram on an uncertain level "himself" during an operation when he believes another disc is suspect. Incredible. Dr. Bertagnoli's experience speaks volumes, as he has seen extremely difficulty cases, emergent cases that are medevaced to him, etc...plus he has used practically every device on the market. He truly knows what device/intervention is the best in a patient's situation...why?...one word... EXPERIENCE.

Good luck and keep me posted... I have an interesting story for you.
Laminotomy L4/L5 (3.7.97--17 years old)
1999 & 2003 MVA (not at fault both times)
Grade V Tears L4/L5 & L5/L6
2-Level ProDisc® L4/L5 & L5/L6* *lumbosacral transitional vertebra (11.15.03--23 years old)
Dr. Rudolf Bertagnoli -- dr-bertagnoli.com
Pain-free for the last 4.5 yrs.
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
I'm here to help. Only checking PMs currently.