View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009, 12:59 PM

Jake, what is a "waist support?" Like a pelvic stabilizing belt? Just curious. Say, I have 3 lumbar adr's, a L6-S1 fusion, and then my right SI Joint fusion, of which I am 6 weeks post op. I am 10 months post-op from my L6-S1 fusion, and unlike everyone else, I really didn't have much nerve issue from the surgery. Like Mark said, you may not be contra-indicated for motion preservation, so I would certainly look into that. On the other hand, if there is no disc space left for ADR, I don't think a fusion is the end of the world, by any means. I honestly hardly notice any restriction in my movements, and I have had two fusions. Now, I don't have a cage, just screws, but......doc still had to go in both front and back. You are doing the right thing by researching, asking lots of questions, but I would recommend acting sooner rather than later, since you are experiencing gait issues. You certainly want to prevent any permanent nerve damage. Just my humble opinion. Hang in there, and I wish you the best in your decision making, and a future of pain free living once again!

God bless,

Cindylou
bicycle accident 6/01: 2 compression fractures @ T12-L1; vertibroplasty; 4/06: right hip labral tear & arthroscopic repair; 4/07: lumbar prodiscs @ 3 levels, L3-6 by Dr. Bertagnoli; 7/02/08: ALIF L6-S1; 7/30/08: reopened to remove bone cement, leaked onto S1 nerve root; 8/08: pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion; ALIF fusion complete; 3/10/09: SI Joint Fusion by Dr. Stark; Jury still out.