View Single Post
Old 04-24-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie View Post
So my only issue with taking the car is finding a place to put it. The parking anywhere near the hospital will cost us over $70/day x a couple of weeks. And we need to get the insurance updated to cover a private room so my husband can stay with me or else pay up to $200/night for a room. Of course that would solve the parking problem...leave it there at the hotel and take the train in

Either way, I'm hoping to not have to pay a couple of thousand dollars for accommodation for my husband while we are down there, plus the travel.

I need to get reimbursed for the consult as well, as that was about $400 cdn, but was very necessary at the time. I hope I can slip it in with the total cost to the insurance and get the hospital to give it back. Or some such evil scheme.....

All of these are good opinions...maybe a poll is in order!
Hey Katie,

I think flying would be easier IMHO. You'll get a wheelchair through the airport and you will be able to board before everyone else. I know the seats can be an issue, but airfare is super cheap right now. Plus, (the BIG plus for me) the cost of storing a car in NYC is absolutely insane--it would add up extremely fast.

It would be nice to have a car to stop and go as you please. However, traffic can be horrific on I-95 (if you are using it) and traffic can also be very aggressive. The thing I would worry about would be having to slam on your brakes, which would be brutal on your neck.

About accommodations for your husband--cheap hotels are just outside Manhattan (which can easily be $200-300 a night). He could stay at a place that is close to mass transit (subway), as it is extremely easy and cheap to get around NYC that way. This could save tons of money, albeit it would require more travel time during the day for your husband.

Good luck!
Laminotomy L4/L5 (3.7.97--17 years old)
1999 & 2003 MVA (not at fault both times)
Grade V Tears L4/L5 & L5/L6
2-Level ProDisc® L4/L5 & L5/L6* *lumbosacral transitional vertebra (11.15.03--23 years old)
Dr. Rudolf Bertagnoli -- dr-bertagnoli.com
Pain-free for the last 4.5 yrs.
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
I'm here to help. Only checking PMs currently.

Last edited by Justin; 04-24-2009 at 10:03 PM.