View Single Post
Old 04-25-2009, 11:22 PM

Oh, very cool Jess. I hope you are able to re-arrange your flights.

After yesterday's feeling of panic at everything that needed to be done, I am feeling strangely calm today. Maybe it's because there isn't much I can do today. And I think I am starting to believe that everything will work out all right.

I had been feeling pretty sick, with the worry of not knowing what was going to happen. Now that I have a date, and have put some things in motion, I am feeling more relaxed. I also started putting together a list of those things I need to get done.

One question I have though, is what should I ask of my PM doc, as far as medications to take with me. I mean, I'm sure that Drs. Bertagnoli and Fenk-Mayer will take care of meds that I need right after surgery, and the 6 days or so that I am in the hospital. But, I also know that some people have said they were glad of bringing whatever meds they brought. But I have been taking Opana-ER, which is not appropriate for after surgery pain. I also have oxycodone that I take occasionally, for breakthrough pain.

I will be asking her for:
lidocaine patches for around the incision
anti-nausea meds in case I need that (there aren't many pain meds that don't make me sick)
muscle relaxer
something for sleep (again, not something I normally need, but in case I need - like on the flight home)
and of course extra pain meds - oxycodone, or Opana (not ER), and I will also ask how soon after surgery I can start the Opana-ER again.

Is there anything I am forgetting? What if she asks, or says that they should be taking care of all my meds following surgery? What should I say to her then?

46 years old. 12-15 years of intermittent pain, 2 years with constant pain.

DDD, L4-5 and L5-S1, pain confirmed by discogram.
PT, ESI's, Facet injection and block, Acupuncture - all no help.

2-level (Prodisc-L) ADR surgery with Dr. Bertagnoli, May 26, 2009.

Currently taking Opana-ER (tapering off) and oxycodone