View Single Post
Old 04-26-2009, 03:30 PM

Cathy,

Well, we've got it all set up. My husband was able to change my flight and I'll be arriving in Paris on May 23. We'll then be flying to Munich on the 24th and checking in to the hospital on the 25th.

I have been corresponding with one of Dr. B's patients in Moscow, and she advised me that the Gernam doctors can be a bit stingy with pain meds so to be sure to bring plenty with you. Here is a quote from her email to me:

"One thing I will warn you of, the German docs are very stingy with pain meds post-op. Make sure your US doc gives you an rx of MSContin or oxycontin and a complementing instant release med for pain post-op (they expect you to bring meds from the States). You will likely need it for a month or two. They might give you some Palladon in Germany. It is an excellent sustained release pain med that is unavailable in the States. It is SR dilaudid. If they give you enough for a month or so then try to get instant release dilaudid for breakthrough pain from the US. It isn't available in Germany! You might want to stop the arthrotec a week or so pre-op as it can thin the blood like aspirin or ibuprofen. Ask Dr. B. about it. Also, being a woman who has had children, you are more prone to incisional hernia than males or childless women. Be exceptionally careful with your incision for a year or so! Mine herniated 6 months post-op and the hernia repair surgery was worse than the back surgery!"

I began taking the Arthrotec (an anti-inflamitory) about a month ago, but it was after I began coresponding with Dr. B, so at this time, he is unaware that I'm on it. I will update his team ASAP.

Also, I do recall reading somewhere else that you should bring plenty of comfortable clothing from home, as they don't make you wear hospital gowns for more than a day or so. I like your idea of the lidoderm patches...I have 3 boxes of them, so I'll make sure I bring plenty...wink, wink...

Perhaps I'll start a new thread on what to bring and helpful hints so that we can gain from the experience of others here on the site.

Looking forward to seeing you!

MRI 4/2008 shows bulging disc with annular tear @ 4/L5 and and complete herniation at L5/S1.

9/11/08 Laminectomy , successful to a point...relieved nerve pain, but after 4 months was still having severe disc pain.

Treatments tried: epidural shots, oral pain killers, NSAID's, TENS massage, chiropractic care, deep tissue massage. Oh, and plenty of our homemade wine!

May 26 2009, 2 level ADR, L4-S1, Dr. Bertagnoli, Straubing, Germany

Last edited by jessmith07; 05-05-2009 at 06:38 AM.