View Single Post
Old 04-27-2009, 06:01 PM

Default re private duty nurses

Katie,
Long ago when I worked as an RN I would catch extra shifts doing private duty hired by families for the same patients I took care of during the day and/or I also have worked for agencies in the past to work specifically private duty.

Now we're talking long ago ~like 20 plus years ago when I was young and could work double shifts several times/week and so forth..

That's why I recommended calling the hospital and finding out their policy and also you might want to check with the post op floor you'd be on and just see what the normal patient to nurse ratio of care is.. like I said fresh post op is usually pretty good, esp. during the day.

Patients are released so much quicker now than back when I was working in surgical units ~ I'm glad I was in the hospital a week after my first discectomy even tho now that's probably an in and out procedure mostly as long as there are no post op complications.

You will probably be OK without a private duty nurse altho you are having quite a bit of surgerical procedures done close together so again you may want to get Dr.Bitan's input on this as he may think of having you in a unit where the ratio of care is very good or perhaps Jason and/or other working nurses/healthcare professionals can chime in here and update me on what post op surgical units are like now as it's been a long long time since I stepped foot into one as all my surgical procedures since 1989 have been on an out patient basis.