Thread: Swine Flu
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2009, 10:38 AM

Default I think

there was a number quoted on this program by one doctor about people dying yearly from the flu in general and it was in the thousands so the 156 people in Mexico that died from this flu virus would be out of how many people actually that had the virus and we don't really know..

Listen to CDC reports and not mainstream media alarm but also be careful as viral strains can be unpredictable and it's especially difficult to guard against airborne spread. When someone coughs or sneezes viral strains can live on an inanimate object and is called a fomite if my memory serves me correctly so again I'm particularly careful re touching public fixtures as in the restroom and with doors. I know this might sound paranoid but I have seen far too many people sneeze or cough and cover nose/mouth w/their hand and then use the same hand to open a public area door (or press a walk button). I also carry hand sanitizer and/or wash my hands after being out in public touching things others might have.

I try to avoid hanging out with people when they say they have a cold if they're in the beginning stages with runny nose, watery eyes, particularly sneezing and coughing or being in a crowd where I hear someone coughing (will walk away as quickly as I can covering my nose and mouth). It seems to be more difficult to do this when you have kids or grandkids and their viruses are really quite strong it seems tho I'm with Runner in terms of basic handwashing, lysol wipes and hand sanitizer. At least in that I don't work this probably keeps me away from a great deal of a population that will show up in the beginning stages of illness tho again I realize this is not practical for most that are working and out in the world. Most of the time I'm just trying to avoid getting a common cold virus or spreading one if I have it.

We just have to utilize a bit more caution perhaps in our daily transactions/interactions and hope that others will as well.

Last edited by Maria; 04-28-2009 at 11:05 AM.