Thread: Nerve damage??
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2009, 06:57 PM

I agree with Cathy...I wouldn't be too concerned just yet, as it's only been a month since your surgery. You need time to heal, as it likely took years for your back to deteriorate to a point of needing surgery.

I, for one, will admit that it was very hard for me to be patient after my surgery...I was expecting immediate relief. I am a very active mother of seven, and I also work full-time. "WHAT? I don't have TIME to heal!!" Plus, my doctor didn't exactly prepare me for all the possible outcomes. That REALLY irritated my husband, but I can see the doctor's POSSIBLE reasoning for this...perhaps he didn't tell me anything other than this OR that can happen (and not the myriad of things in between) because the human mind can and does affect the healing process, and to fill it with too much information at the beginning of the healing process could possibly slow it down. This is MY opinion, anyway, or maybe he was just too darn busy to take the time...

Again, YOU KNOW your body, so don't be afraid to be forceful and insist on more testing if your instincts are telling you that it's still "not right". That's exactly what I had to do, and it turned out I was right. The herniated disc that was operated on continued to deteriorate (as well as the one above it) and while the laminectomy did relieve the nerve pain, now, 7 months post-op, I need a 2-level ADR. But at first, my surgeon wouldn't listen...so I had to INSIST!

MRI 4/2008 shows bulging disc with annular tear @ 4/L5 and and complete herniation at L5/S1.

9/11/08 Laminectomy , successful to a point...relieved nerve pain, but after 4 months was still having severe disc pain.

Treatments tried: epidural shots, oral pain killers, NSAID's, TENS massage, chiropractic care, deep tissue massage. Oh, and plenty of our homemade wine!

May 26 2009, 2 level ADR, L4-S1, Dr. Bertagnoli, Straubing, Germany

Last edited by jessmith07; 05-05-2009 at 06:41 AM.