View Single Post
Old 05-03-2009, 05:59 PM

I am expecting to be off for 8-12 weeks, and using FMLA (Family and Medical Leave Act). This allows you to take a leave of absence without losing your job. Your company has to be large enough (I don't know how many employees is required, for the policy to be in force, someone will come along with that answer), and you have to have been on the job for a year (I think). You have to have worked a minimum number of hours in the previous 12 months, as well.

If all these things are met, then you can be off work for 12 weeks, with a guarantee of a comparable position when you return. They are not required to return you to the same position, but a comparable one that you are qualified to do.

FMLA does not guarantee pay during this time, only a job when you return.

I have been planning for this since November, and limiting how much time I have been taking off, except for absolutely needed medical leave. So, I didn't take off time at Christmas, except for the scheduled holidays. I have 6 weeks of paid time off, but am having my employer change my hours from 40hr/wk to 30, so that it will stretch to 8 weeks.

And then we have a program, where people can donate their vacation to you, or anyone in need. Before I leave, I will be signing up for this program, and sending an email to everyone in my department and the few additional people that I know outside the dept, asking for donations. They can donate as little as a half day of vacation. But I am hoping that if enough people donate 1/2 or 1 day of vacation, that it will be enough to allow me to be paid through the entire 12 weeks.

And I really, really hope I will be ready to come back to work in 12 weeks, so that I am guaranteed a position. In this economy, I am very nervous about having to find a job, if I am not ready to come back at 12 weeks.

I hope that you are able to take the needed time off to heal. At a minimum, it takes 6 weeks for the bone to grow into the ADR.

46 years old. 12-15 years of intermittent pain, 2 years with constant pain.

DDD, L4-5 and L5-S1, pain confirmed by discogram.
PT, ESI's, Facet injection and block, Acupuncture - all no help.

2-level (Prodisc-L) ADR surgery with Dr. Bertagnoli, May 26, 2009.

Currently taking Opana-ER (tapering off) and oxycodone