View Single Post
Old 05-04-2009, 01:15 AM

Default My everyday life

Cathy,

Well I can't do much walking on my street as it's too hilly. Walking to the addition entrance truly is uphill both ways. I've been walking around the perimeter of my yard several times a day (maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile).

I'm doing the low, low impact execises I was shown at Stenum (great hospital by the way) and my wife will massage my lower back if needed.

I won't climb the stairs of the house to put Sean to bed which is one of my favorite events. I can't pick him up (nothing over 5 lbs) either, that's been the worst of the whole operation.

Friday will be 6 weeks post-op. I'll start tackling the golf course cart paths behind the house. My energy level is at an all time low since I've gotten back. I was walking about 2-3 miles a day before I injured my back. That was 3 years ago so I'm going to pace myself to get there at 6 months post-op.

Cathy, this recovery is the perfect doctor's excuse if you were looking for that elusive "stay home, watch TV and drink beer" note for work. You'll want to take it easy. Do exactly what the doctor orders and don't over do it. Allow yourself the time and patience to let your body heal. I feel like I've been given a great opportunity to have a new back and I'm not doing anything to jeopordize this gift. Regardless of who you choose for your surgeon or which disc you settle on, I wish you only the speediest, easiest, most pain free and successful recovery.

Godspeed,

Bob
04/07 Recurrent Disc Surgery L5/S1
3 Ortho and 1 Neuro Surgeon, 3 MRIs, 1 EGM, 1 Myleogram & 11 EDIs later:
03/27/09 Maverick ADR at L4/L5 & L5/S1
03/27/09 The Lord and Dr. Ritter-Lang returned my life to me.