View Single Post
Old 05-04-2009, 05:34 AM

Default My story....new here...chemically sensitive disc

Hello all, I have posted a few times and was asked about my story.

I was a runner for a long time and a dancer. I was competing in a swing dance competition when my partner threw me across the floor by accident and I landed on my spine. That was 13 years ago.

I went to emergency at my HMO...they referred me to pt and began having acute nerve pain. I had to fight to get an MRI, treatment and it was somewhat of a disaster. I left work as I could no longer sit and went outside my HMO to get treatment and a proper diagnosis.

After three years of going around the country I finally got a diagnosis after a facet block from someone who really knew about my problem which many doctors don't really have expertise in. This problem is called a "cheically sensitive disc". The only option then was fusion. I chose to live with the pain as I saw so many fusions that did not take.

I have lived off opiates, been to countless pain management courses, had countless epidurals, many types of alternataive treatments...basically everything I could to avoid fusion. I started a new life....a life of disability and doing the best I can. In a way I have to say I gave up for awhile. I also had to deal with cancer and going through that battle. That was my primary battle and I'm happy to say I'm in remission. I fought my HMO to get treatment to no avail when it came to my back. It's just not something they are good with. I've tried to fight my HMO but it would cost me my house and they still wouldn't send me out.

A year ago I learned about ADR and it's taken awhile to pull off the discogram and all the other tests I need. During the discogram it was noted I have moderate facet joint issues. They said I needed a facet block to see if that would help out to ruile out the facet joints as an issue and to help determine if I would be an ADR or fusion candidate. I had facet blocks before and they never did a thing but they said since it was a long time ago, they had to do another one.

I had that done half a week ago. I also had a new MRI which i will get the results from in the next week or so. I am now waiting to see if that helps but so far, i'm having no relief. I'm going to have my bone scan soon and then will start my trek for the right surgeon and to figure out the ADR vs. Fusion thing and where I will recover.

The statistics for surgery benefitting patients with a "chemmically sensitive disc" fare much better with surgery than without. The percent where people improve with this condition is over 80% according to the findings of the person who diagnosed my "chemically sensitive disc". I also have DDD and other issues but the irritated nerve pain is the worst so the disc must come out.

I've had trouble finding people with this condition so i've felt really alone with it. So in the next month I will see various surgeons as well as considering going to Germany. I feel a overwhelmed by it all but I feel this is a risk I am willing to take. I can no longer grocery shop and do what I need to do to take care of myself and have little help.

Anyone else have a chemically sensitive disc and been through the decision making process of ADR vs. fusion with a moderate facet issues? It's hard to make the decision to stay here or go to Germany for me. I am sure my HMO will not pay. I will take a second out on my home to do this but I feel I must move forward. Any ideas and suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

I have a June appt with Dr. Bitan in NYC. I have also seen Dr. Berven at UCSF and have spoken briefly with Dr. Zeegers who does not seem to be doing surgery right now. I respect all the above surgeons although a little concerned about UCSF...although they are fantastic they are a teaching facility and any student would be able to work on me as such.

As I am not yet 5 years NED (cancer free) I don't qualify for any trials due to this. Some of the well known ADR docs (So Cal) won't work with me as I have a past cancer history.

Thanks so much for listening.

Dancing accident in 96. tried PT, acupuncture, pilates, pain mgmt. nothing worked. Epidurals, facet blocks, caudal blocks, discogram. Opiates for ten years, oral prednisone, toradol inj. & more.

Two level spinal fusion with BMS, cages, hardware. due to bone density problems from chemotherapy, they had to go in front and back. Surgery Nov. 6, 2010. So far no regrets.