View Single Post
Old 01-15-2007, 09:29 PM

Default CT Results

Blair,

Thanks for posting your test results so that we can all learn. From what I've understood, the descriptor "sclerotic" when applied to a joint surface refers to densification or hardening of the subchonral bone. This hardening typically occurs in response to a mechanical overload such as would occur in the case of articular cartilage loss (arthritis), or a change in joint biomechanics. Since you've said that your Charite permitted excessive extension to the point of permitting subluxation of the facets, this could be the source of the overload.

The presence of osteophytes on the facet joints would go hand-in-hand with the sclerotic bone as another response to overstress. Osteophytes are typically a joint's crazy way of trying to stabilize itself or increase it's contact surface area in order to reduce stress (load per unit area).

The term "patent" applied to nerve openings typically means "wide open".

If I were drawing conclusions from this description, I'd say that your facets are taking a beating as shown by the sclerotic bone and osteophyte growth. On the other hand, the osteophytes have not yet gotten large enough to even start to close down the foraminal or central canal nerve openings. I'd be interested in seeing the thickness of your remaining articular cartilage on the facet surfaces and whether or not there way any sign of effusion or synovitis in the facet capsules. If you've still got articular cartilage left, then it's likely that the facets would calm down once you corrected the improper loading coming from your ADR. If you have little or no articular cartilage left, you might want to think about doing something else down the road.

Forgive me if I yack too much, but, your CT report reads almost like my MRI reports. I feel like I've found someone else in the same situation as me.

Best,
Laura