View Single Post
Old 05-11-2009, 01:07 PM

Default Hi Michelle

Hi Michelle

Thanks for your message. I hope you have better luck if you decide to have an ADR than me, Just make sure U understand that it is damn hard to have it removed and alot more costly. I too was originally thinking about going to Germany but was talked out of it.
I dont wish to name my surgeon as I hold no grudge against him, He isnt in your state though. There is always a risk with any surgery unfortunately and even the best have results like mine. My surgeon has stuck by me and is wanting to continue helping me which I really appreciate and I still have the highest respect for him. My surgery took 7hrs so it was not an easy operation. He had done more than 100 lumbar ADR's plus many more cervical ADR's.
The biggest concern I have is that im not too keen on a posterior fusion especially as it may not help and dont wish to be stuck in pain with a crooked disc stuck in me. That will mean I need to have another operation which I really arent keen on. You can see the Xray doesnt look very good and I agree with you about whether a posterior fusion would work. I think that it may be able to straighten up the spine at that level but I cant see there being equal pressure on the ADR for it to be used as an interbody device supporting the spine and not cause any pain. My surgeon has said he will do another anterior operation to remove the disc if the posterior fusion doesnt work and has done 1 Maverick removal but has done many repeat anterior operations which helps. I agree that noone should ever put something in someone if they arent able to remove it. The reason my surgeon doesnt want to do an anterior operation first is because of the huge risk involved which is understandable. My only concern I have with my surgeon is that he isnt able to do a lateral operation if a repeat anterior operation failed, otherwise I would happily have him operate again.
Its impossible to know what to do.
Thanks for the reply and best of luck,

Mark
July 2009 ADR successfully removed laterally by Dr Luiz Pimenta in Brasil with XLIF and perc. PLIF

NO LONGER POSTING HERE