View Single Post
Old 05-11-2009, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Michelle,

Keep in mind that people can have tilted vertebral bodies without off-center ADR. I've seen several cases of tilted vertebral bodies with on-center ADR. (Even more cases of tilted vertebral bodies with off-center ADR because of the obvious balance issues with the center of the joint that us not under the center of load.)

Also keep in mind that many people have posterior or posterolateral fusions without touching the collapsed disc space. You can have forces acting on the off-center ADR that are completely overridden by the stabilizing forces that may come from a nicely done fusion or posterior stabilization system installed behind the ADR. I've seen successful and unsuccessful fusions leaving the ADR in place. I've seen successful and unsuccessful fusions following explantation of poorly done ADR. I've seen successful and unsuccessful dynamic stabilization behind ADR with Dynesys, DSS and Coflex.

Each case is unique and depends upon what the true pain generators are and how successful the surgery is at correcting the structural issues associated with the poor configuration.

Note that it's possible that the obvious structural issues associated with the tilted vertebra may not be the pain generator or may not be the only pain generator.

mmglobal (it's too confusing having 2 mark's here. Mark, Mark... sounds like a hair-lipped dog barking.)
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org