View Single Post
Old 05-11-2009, 07:04 PM

My Mother's Day was very blah, though that isn't necessarily a bad thing. My boyfriend worked Saturday night, and slept well into the afternoon. Then when he got up, we only spent a little time together before he took off to go to MD to check on his house there. He's turning right back around, and driving back home tonight. But he wanted to check on everything, before we go to Germany.

So, I watched TV, called my Mom. Then my sister called me, and later my son called me too. Anyway, my sister had talked to our Mom, who mentioned that I had been talking about asking her (my sister) to go to Germany with me. Well, I had been talking about it, but only if my boyfriend wasn't able to be there the entire time (but he is going to be there). But, she said she wanted to be there for me, and would find a way if I wanted her to be there.

I suggested that she come stay with me, after I get home from Germany. So, that is what she is planning (she needs to work out some details). But, I can't tell you how happy I am that she is going to come spend a week with me, and help out. She started talking about cooking meals for me, to freeze in portions, so I could just reheat them after she is gone. I can't tell you how much of a help that is going to be. Plus, just having someone at home to help with every little thing, and talk to. My sister and I are exactly one year apart - to the day - and we are such good friends too.

Michelle (and Jess), I also have a very good relationship with my pain management doctor. I have been seeing her for a year and a half, and she trusts me. When she had me sign the "pain contract", I felt like it was only a formality, and she has only ever asked me to do a urine test that first day (to prove I was only taking what she has prescribed). When I told her I was going for surgery, and that I was concerned about the pain, and anxiety and all kinds of other things, she only wanted to help. Every concern I had, she addressed (with meds). But she also said she wanted to see me when I got back, within a week of returning, or sooner if I needed her. I'm sure she wants to make sure my pain is being managed adequately.

I think it is imperative that we have a doctor who trust us, who don't make us feel like drug addicts, and want to control our pain. I know that finding that kind of doctor can be next to impossible in some areas. But, if your doctor is not meeting your needs, try to find one who will.

My anxiety of late last week hasn't come back. This morning I made a partial payment for my surgery. And everything went smoothly. Although, I made the mistake of not checking my bank account before I set up the transactions. I did not think my cash advance would be posted to my checking account, so I only made the partial payment with the money I knew was there, when I could have paid in full. But, I will pay the rest later this week. But I tell you, I was really worried when they started talking about rescheduling my surgery, if I couldn't arrange payment before I arrived. Luckily that is all going to work out. Phew.

46 years old. 12-15 years of intermittent pain, 2 years with constant pain.

DDD, L4-5 and L5-S1, pain confirmed by discogram.
PT, ESI's, Facet injection and block, Acupuncture - all no help.

2-level (Prodisc-L) ADR surgery with Dr. Bertagnoli, May 26, 2009.

Currently taking Opana-ER (tapering off) and oxycodone