View Single Post
Old 05-12-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastex View Post
I want to thank every one that posted on this. I too am suffering from depression and it was nice to read these comments. I can see that everyone goes through these feelings. I was in severe pain for years, had surgery, then my wife left, and I am still in pain. All of my guns are at a relatives house now. I have had really bad thoughts and I am tired of the meds now. I know I have to take them, to get through this. My Pain doc is working with me and there is a counselor that I see. I can't stand to listen to country music. It is so depressing. I listen to rock mostly. But, it is strange for a Texan not to listen to country! I know it will get better. Time heals all wounds.
Eastex,

Heloooo Texas...I'm from Ft. Worth! It's been a while since I've been home (at least 10 years, but moved away in 1994), but you know what they say, "You can take the girl out of Texas, but you can't take Texas out of the Girl!"

Anyway, I'm sorry to hear that you're still having so many problems. My ex-husband had a fusion (while I we were still married) and so I know both sides of the coin here, both being a care-giver and a patient. I do remember that he was in a LOT of pain for quite some time after his fusion (posterior, not anterior), and it took at least 5-6 months for him to finally start to feel "better". Now...that being said, he was not the most compliant patient, and didn't want to do what the doctors told him to do if it caused him the slightest amount of pain, so I think that could have prolonged his healing. BUT...he did eventually get better...all told, it took him a little over a year to fully recuperate. So, be a patient patient (I know that's easier said than done). When I had my laminectomy last September, I (illogically, I know) expected to be able to jump out of bed and get back to being the super-mom, super-wife, super-(fill-in-the-blank) that I thrive on being. But that certainly didn't happen...I know I've probably said this before, but it took time for your back to get to the point of needing surgery, and now that you've had it, you've got to give it time to heal.

Now, on another point regarding meds...my doctor, about 6 weeks ago, tried me on a new (for me) med called Arthrotec 75. It's an NSAID for osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis, but I tell you what, I took that pill at night with a pain level of 7/8 (I HATE narcotics or opiates; I'd only take a narcotic when I was DESPERATE and suffering the rest of the time), and when I woke up the next morning, my pain level was a 3/4. The next ay it was down to a 2/3 and it's remained between 1/3 ever since. You might talk to your doctor about this.

Hang in there, and don't be afraid to talk to us. It really helps more than just you...or me...to know that we aren't alone.

Jess

MRI 4/2008 shows bulging disc with annular tear @ 4/L5 and and complete herniation at L5/S1.

9/11/08 Laminectomy , successful to a point...relieved nerve pain, but after 4 months was still having severe disc pain.

Treatments tried: epidural shots, oral pain killers, NSAID's, TENS massage, chiropractic care, deep tissue massage. Oh, and plenty of our homemade wine!

May 26 2009, 2 level ADR, L4-S1, Dr. Bertagnoli, Straubing, Germany