View Single Post
Old 05-23-2009, 05:49 PM

Default my rheumatologist said...

I'm on injectable Forteo daily for osteoporosis (lumbar t score t-2.6) and hips are t-2.8/2.7. I have a strong family history of osteoporosis with both parents and my brother who is 59.

The rheumatologist ordered all kinds of labwork that came back very good and he asked about my calcium supplemental intake to which I replied I don't take any because my stomach gets really upset with any/all types I've tried.

He then said that studies have shown that people that are taking supplemental calcium of 1200 to 1500 mg/daily will likely absorb 10% of this and persons that are just getting nutritional calcium daily recommendation will absorb 60% of this. So he basically said it's fine if I don't take the supplements but try to make sure I eat well and include enough calcium in my diet with calcium rich foods.

He also said he knows that the Forteo will build the bone and in 18mo. time I will have normal bone mineral density and then will need to start Reclast IV administration once/year after 2 years on Forteo to maintain my then normal BMD.

The thing is that I hope I can continue to have the insurance that pays for the Forteo.. this is 4th month on it for me.

Last edited by Maria; 05-23-2009 at 05:54 PM.