View Single Post
Old 05-27-2009, 10:53 PM

Default Fusion

HI Michelle,

I had a revision surgery that included fusion from L-4 to S-1 in Dec. of 2007. My surgeon is normally in favor of ADR (and since that time, did a 3 level cervical ADR for me). Because of the specific problems with my spine, he would not consider going with ADR in my lower spine. Just to be sure, I got a second and third opinion. Once I made up my mind to have it done, the sooner the better! Due to previous surgery for scoliosis, my spine is fused all the way up to T-2. I will be 48 next month. I can't say that I am pain free.....but I can tell you that (for the most part) I do NOT feel disabled. My life is full. I work and have a family and home to take care of. It took me a little while to get used to the loss of flexibility from L-4 to S-1....but on the other hand, my pain went down considerably which seems like a fair trade. I suggest that you consult with the pain management dept. of the hospital you will be having surgery in BEFORE your surgery date. For those of us who have been on narcotics for lengthy periods of time, controlling the immediate post surgical pain can be challenging. Bringing in the experts can make a huge difference. I would be happy to answer any questions you have. Good luck. Stay in touch and let us know how you are doing. Melody
1975-scoliosis surgery,Harrington Rods, fused T2 to L4
Felt great in 20's and 30's....late 30's started having chronic neck and lower back pain. By 40 pain worsened enough to begin seeking surgical solutions.

ADR surgery much easier recovery than fusion!
This site has been a great source of information for me! I would be happy to help anyone who has questions.