Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Abstracts and Articles
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Abstracts and Articles Discuss Surgical Implants Coated with One of 'Nature's Antibiotics' Could Prevent Infection in the Main forums forums; Surgical implants coated with one of 'nature's antibiotics' could prevent infection 1st on the web (February 3, 2009) February ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2009, 02:08 AM

Default Surgical Implants Coated with One of 'Nature's Antibiotics' Could Prevent Infection

Surgical implants coated with one of 'nature's antibiotics' could prevent infection

1st on the web (February 3, 2009)
February 2009

Researchers at the University of British Columbia have discovered a mimic of one of "nature's antibiotics" that can be used to coat medical devices to prevent infection and rejection.

The study, published in the Jan. 30 issue of Chemistry & Biology, found that a synthetic form – short tethered cationic antimicrobial peptides (cationic peptide) – can protect surfaces, killing bacteria and fungi that come into contact with them. The discovery could lead to new protection for surgical implants, catheters, hip replacements and joint prostheses.

“The rapid progress of biomedical technology and an aging population places increasing demands on medical implants to treat serious tissue disorders and replace organ function,” Robert Hancock, principal investigator and Canada Research Chair in Pathogenomics and Antimicrobials at UBC’s Department of Microbiology and Immunology, said in a press release. “These cationic peptides are currently being developed as soluble antibiotics for administration to patients to combat infection. We have developed a new method for finding a variety of effective peptides that can bind to a surface and still kill harmful bacteria and fungus.”

Link

Chemistry & Biology
Volume 16, Issue 1, 30 January 2009, Pages 58-69

Screening and Characterization of Surface-Tethered Cationic Peptides for Antimicrobial Activity

Kai Hilpert1, 6, Melissa Elliott1, Håvard Jenssen1, Jason Kindrachuk1, Christopher D. Fjell1, Jana Körner2, Dirk F.H. Winkler3, Lindsay L. Weaver4, Peter Henklein5, Anne S. Ulrich6, Sandy H.Y. Chiang1, Susan W. Farmer1, Nelly Pante4, Rudolf Volkmer2 and Robert E.W. Hancock1, ,

1. Centre for Microbial Diseases and Immunity Research, University of British Columbia, 2259 Lower Mall Research Station, Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z3, Canada
2. Institut für Medizinische Immunologie, Universitätsklinikum Charité, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, Hessische Str. 3-4, 10117 Berlin, Germany
3. Peptide Array Facility of the Brain Research Centre, University of British Columbia, 2211 Wesbrook Mall, Vancouver, BC V6T 2B5, Canada
4. Department of Zoology, University of British Columbia, 6270 University Boulevard, Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z4, Canada
5. Institut für Biochemie, Universitätsklinikum Charité, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, Monbijoustrasse 2, 10117 Berlin, Germany
6. Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Institute of Biological Interfaces, POB 3640, 76021 Karlsruhe, Germany

Summary

There is an urgent need to coat the surfaces of medical devices, including implants, with antimicrobial agents to reduce the risk of infection. A peptide array technology was modified to permit the screening of short peptides for antimicrobial activity while tethered to a surface. Cellulose-amino-hydroxypropyl ether (CAPE) linker chemistry was used to synthesize, on a cellulose support, peptides that remained covalently bound during biological assays. Among 122 tested sequences, the best surface-tethered 9-, 12-, and 13-mer peptides were found to be highly antimicrobial against bacteria and fungi, as confirmed using alternative surface materials and coupling strategies as well as coupling through the C and N termini of the peptides. Structure-activity modeling of the structural features determining the activity of tethered peptides indicated that the extent and positioning of positive charges and hydrophobic residues were influential in determining activity.

Author Keywords: CHEMBIO; MICROBIO

Copyright © 2009 Elsevier Ltd All rights reserved.
Laminotomy L4/L5 (3.7.97--17 years old)
1999 & 2003 MVA (not at fault both times)
Grade V Tears L4/L5 & L5/L6
2-Level ProDisc® L4/L5 & L5/L6* *lumbosacral transitional vertebra (11.15.03--23 years old)
Dr. Rudolf Bertagnoli -- dr-bertagnoli.com
Pain-free for the last 4.5 yrs.
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
I'm here to help. Only checking PMs currently.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:50 PM

This looks promising. I have been taking antibiotics one hour before dental procedures since my 4 level ADR Surgery in November 2006. My dentist does this for all of his implant patients for three years after the surgery. I hardly ever take any antibiotics, due to the possibility of becoming resistant to them, but, this is some prevention that I do prescribe to.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 02-07-2009, 05:32 PM

This does look very promising. I wonder how long the antimicrobial/antifungal activity lasts? Is the mechanism of action such that the peptides can be used over and over? I'm not that great at understanding biochemistry. When I get to work, I'll try to remember to see if I can get the full article and see if I can get more information.

46 years old. 12-15 years of intermittent pain, 2 years with constant pain.

DDD, L4-5 and L5-S1, pain confirmed by discogram.
PT, ESI's, Facet injection and block, Acupuncture - all no help.

2-level (Prodisc-L) ADR surgery with Dr. Bertagnoli, May 26, 2009.

Currently taking Opana-ER (tapering off) and oxycodone
Old 02-17-2009, 11:33 PM

Question Antibiotics before dental?

This is news to me. I am today 3 weeks post-op for 2 level Prodisc-C by Dr. Bertagnoli. I am doing great at this point. I saw this post about the prophylactic ABs and wonder what the reasoning is as it relates to prostheses in the spine. I am scheduled for some minor dental work in the near future, including replacing a temporary crown with a permanent one-after finishing up my Invisalign process shortly. (Had I known I'd be getting a nice scar on my neck I wouldn't have made my teeth so straight and white as it will only draw attention to my face and neck, lol-vanity will get you in trouble!)
I don't think my dentist would know what to do either way...
Old 04-08-2009, 10:15 AM

Thanks! Very cool stuff. Not that I fully understand it. Maybe Maria, other nurses, or Justin (who we know has lotsa time to do so could interpret for me). Nah, I get the point.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:06 AM

Default interesting...

interesting...
C4-5: Mild disc height loss with central annular fissure. Small broad-based left paracentral disc protrusion. Moderate central canal stenosis-the disc protrusion abuts and mildly flattens the left ventral surface of the spinal canal.

C5-6: Disc desiccation with mild height loss.Diffuse discosteophyte bulge and uncovertebral joint hypertrophy, moderate central canal stenosis- Severe neuroforaminal stenosis bilaterally, right greater than left.