Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Community Support - NSR
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Support - NSR Discuss Its been a long time... in the Main forums forums; Thought I'd say hi to everyone. Wasn't quite sure where to post this, so 'Community Support' it is. ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2011, 09:52 PM

Default Its been a long time...

Thought I'd say hi to everyone. Wasn't quite sure where to post this, so 'Community Support' it is.

I'm now over 7 years post-op and my back is still doing great. Haven't done much of anything other than hiking in the past year. Been dealing with other devastating family issues (lost my son last year in May).

I moved back to Seattle from Arizona last August, but will be moving back to Az again this summer. Not sure if I'm going back to school or not, also have a great opportunity to go to Thailand and do some charity work for a few weeks a couple times a year.

Other than that, just feel like I'm walking out of a fog, trying to reconnect to the world.

Doreen
Old 03-22-2011, 03:19 AM

Default re update

Doreen,
So good to hear an update from you and so very sorry to hear about the loss of your son. That's so devastating... I don't know how you're coping though I truly hope you have a good support system of family and friends around you.

Regarding your back very glad to hear how well you're holding up. I didn't have more surgery after all the opinions I got but haven't had much pain nearly the levels/type of pain I used to have so that was my biggest reason for not proceeding w/surgery. Most of the time I'm happy to feel as good as I do.

Going to Thailand for charity work sounds like a wonderful opportunity. Did you retire already from your regular employment?

Thanks for updating.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:27 AM

Hi Maria. No retirement, quit work, moved to Arizona and went back to school. Thinking about finishing my degree sometime in the future, but have to find some peace and balance in my life first. My world was knocked off its axis when John died and still is in a lot of ways, but I can fake it pretty good most days.

I came back to Seattle at the urging of family (my brother) and a couple close friends. But it turns out my "support system" here is beyond dysfunctional (long story) and I won't miss them when I go back to Arizona.

Glad to hear you're not in as much pain these days. I should be more thankful about my spine doing so well, but I think part of it is because I quit police work. It just felt like the right time to say when.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:01 PM

Doreen,

The loss of your son is absolutley devastating and I know there are no words of comfort. It's simply not the way it's supposed to be and I'm very sorry.

I'm glad that you're trying to get on with your life with school and revisiting what turned out to be a dysfunctional support system. What have you been studying?

At least your back hasn't added to your concerns. You have enough on your plate!

My best to you, Dale
Old 03-23-2011, 12:00 AM
Administrator

Hey Doreen, it's nice to see you here again. I'm so sorry about John. I lost a sister when I was 14 - she was 16. Watching my parents and family go through that... I agree with Dale, there are no words of comfort. I hope some of the sting is gone and that memories will bring smiles instead of tears. I'm glad that I got to spend some time with him when when he came down to So.Cal with you in 2004 for Zeegers' GPN seminar.

I know you'll miss the weather in Seattle when you move back to Arizona. Wrap a gray sheet around your head and run through the sprinklers when you miss the dreary.

When you head south, perhaps you can come through LA? (I know a place in FV that you can crash for a few nights in if you'd like. Maybe we could plan a gathering around your time there?

I'm in Holland now... home at the end of the week (I hope). Let's catch up soon.

I hope to see you soon!

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 03-24-2011, 09:01 PM

Dale - thanks for the thoughts...

I was studying environmental science. I'd like to finish that degree, but might make it a double bachelor's. Still haven't decided, kind of just living day to day without thinking too much (harder than it sounds!).

Mark - I most likely will be coming your way when I move. I have another stop in the LA area also. I won't be missing the Seattle weather at all. Funny how fast I got acclimated to arid sunny days. I will try your gray sheet and sprinkler idea, but it won't be the same without really crappy drivers and a truckload of gloom to go with it.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:49 AM

Default It has been a long time

Dear Doreen,
I am deeply saddened my your profound loss. As I recall back in 2003 you went through your share of stuff with you successful ADR and subsequent heart surgery. Although you had you plate full, you were there for me in preparation for my 3-level ADR and harassment at work.

I sincerely wish you the best and will say a prayer for you. Take care.

Thelma

Prodisc ADR L3-4-5, 08/2003 Dr. Bertagnoli
Failed Fusion C5-6 03/2005
Sarcoidosis
Old 04-06-2011, 05:38 PM

Thelma! Its been way too long. How are you doing?
Old 04-10-2011, 05:20 PM

Default Almost 8 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofhearts View Post
Thelma! Its been way too long. How are you doing?
Hey Doreen,
I am doing well for the most part. Lower back is doing good and I have a few other limitations, but I keep myself focused on other stuff. I have not been able to work for the past 2 years because of pain and insommnia. That is the hardest part of my turning 50. Overall life is positive.

I wish you all the besst.

Thelma

Prodisc ADR L3-4-5, 08/2003 Dr. Bertagnoli
Failed Fusion C5-6 03/2005
Sarcoidosis