Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Community Support - NSR
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Community Support - NSR Discuss Looking for brachial plexus help - ?NS? in the Main forums forums; Our son was injured in a bicycle crash Aug.10. I can't remember which nerves tested no response on ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2006, 11:13 PM

Default Looking for brachial plexus help - ?NS?

Our son was injured in a bicycle crash Aug.10. I can't remember which nerves tested no response on the EMG, but he can't move his left arm - no biceps, and no ablity to bend at elbow and lift up to the side.

The NS says the nerves could be very badly stretched, or severed. The injury was an open fracture of the collarbone, with a 5-inch slash at the juncture of the neck/shoulder.

We will get another EMG at the beginning of November and that will supposedly tell us if there is any chance the nerves will regenerate or whether he will need surgery to reattach them. The surgeon had given him a 2/3 chance that he will regain the use of his arm.

As our son is one of the top junior cyclists in Canada, and was aiming for an Olympic berth, we wnat to make sure we havwe investigated every possible clinical option for him.

I'm wondering about stem cell transplants, and if there are any 'great' NS specializing in peripheral nerve damage, similar to the 'greats' in spine surgery.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:54 PM
Administrator

fortitudine,

I have a conference call with Dr. Aaron Filler later today. (He's quite important in the world of nerve surgery. Harvard tained, inventor of neurography....) I'll ask him about potential issues and options for your son, and possibly about MRN (magnetic resonance neurography) being in play... will it provide better imaging?

Some of my clients have been to him for spine issues. Dr. Filler has also done a nerve entrapment release surgery on another client's elbow... completely not spine related. This surgery was very successful.

On one of my trips to Europe, I met an American doctor who was taking patients to Europe for stem cell treatments. We've become good friends. I'll ask him about potential for stem treatments in your son's case.

I'll let you know.

Mark

PS, I have a copy of Dr. Filler's book: Do You Really Need Back Surgery that will be available on the iSpine Lending Library... coming soon.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:35 PM

Default Top Children brachial plexus Surgeon

I hope this helps http://www.drnathmri.com