Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Recovery time as an indicator? in the Main forums forums; So many of us struggle endlessly deciding when to do surgery. We go through periods of knowing that we must ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2008, 06:03 PM
Administrator

Default Recovery time as an indicator?

So many of us struggle endlessly deciding when to do surgery. We go through periods of knowing that we must do it... then we are better for a few weeks or months and we know that we should not consider surgery while we remain so functional.

The definition of 'functional enough' is VERY different from one person to the next. Some accept almost (or not almost) total disability, while others feel they have to do surgery because it's getting difficult to play 36 holes in one day.

You've watched me for years as I'll occasionally post the... "neck is bad... surgery coming soon" posts... then the years go by. The last few weeks have been difficult with several episodes that get out to the edge... going from moderate to severe. I hope that this will all blow over. I'm about to hit the road and I usually do better traveling than I do at home because I don't spend all day every day at my desk.

The subject of the post is "Recovery time". What I'm noticing as the years go by and I continue to be a watcher and waiter is that when I do have an episode, recovery time is getting longer and longer. Being able to push the limits and provoke the pain expecting a quick recovery is a thing of the past. Now, when I get to the edge, it's too late. Instead of getting to the edge and being able to rest and turn it around... when I get to the edge, I'm in for several days of pretty serious pain and limitations. (I always have gnawing pain, but there is a difference between those pains and the limitations forced by constant muscle spasms.)

Regarding the decision making process... we become watchers and waiters we accept our decision based on a given set of circumstances. For many of us, those circumstances change and they change in ways that are hard to notice. We have the same episodes, but there are shorter periods between them (subtle change). Episodes may last longer (subtle change). They may be more severe... this could be subtle or it could be dramatic.

It's interesting watching this happen because after we've made a decision, there must be a significant change for us to re-evaluate... but the subtle changes may sneak up on us and we find ourselves accepting much greater limitations than we considered when we made our decision.

How has recovery time changed for you?

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 07-06-2008, 09:19 PM

I feel with you regarding the neck problems. Isn't it amazing how bad desk work (or driving) is for the neck. Thats when its killing me!

Regarding the recoveries after pain "events" it got worse and worse with me over the years and when I decided it is time I feel now that it was "about time" if not "past about time". My back is wonderful now and better then it has been in a decade! Only problem is it clearly now shows that that was not the only problem I have...one thing leads to another.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:35 AM

Default recovery time from flare ups

This varies but it seems that the flare ups for lumbar area are shorter in nature over the years and I definately spend less time in bed recovering as it used to be weeks (8 was the longest one bedridden flare up lasted) or flareups right on the heels of another so multiples landing me in bed.

I've been on the same meds for years now (7) so I don't know what the explanation is for this and I haven't exactly avoided activities that used to flare me up really easily except for sitting~ this can give me a lumbar flare up so quickly and will last longer if I try any prolonged sitting.

The cervicial stuff is driving me nutz. I'm not used to cervical flare ups and they seem to be following the pattern of my lumbar ones in the early days.

I can't stand to have my neck bothering me!!!!! So I guess I'd say the cervical flare ups are coming in quicker intervals and lasting longer (opposite of lumbar).

edit to say that once I've reached the *edge* of a flare up, it's going to come on. If I ignore the warning signs, it will be a more prolonged, painful and debilitating flare.

Last edited by Maria; 07-07-2008 at 02:12 PM.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:28 AM
Administrator

Recovery time as indicator is one thing... how about time between episodes? Been having acute flare every week now for several days at a time. Leaving for Germany in a few hours... I hope I don't fall asleep wrong on the plane or my client will be holding my for my surgery instead of the other way around.

bis spater,

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 07-11-2008, 07:26 AM

Default interval/frequency

Same thing with my cervical spine. Lately having really bad neck flare ups every month to few weeks and if not for injectable Toradol I would be really miserable with the spasms. Skelaxin helps as well after a few Fioricets.

Sometimes now I feel I have less problems with my lumbar spine. At least less frequency in episodes.

Duration of lumbar episodes are several days to a week. Have had some really long cervical flare ups before I found out that Toradol injections broke up the spasming so well.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:31 PM

Excellent observations Mark.

Have a nice trip. - ans
Old 07-12-2008, 07:31 PM

Default intervals

Long ago my decision to have my first lumbar spine surgery was because the intervals between my flare ups were becoming closer and closer. If a flare up lasted several weeks and I was having one every other month that was far too much down time. It became surgery time (1989).