Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Possible revision coming in the Main forums forums; An update from Linda. Mark helped me get my online profile to Dr. Regan. Dr. Regan's office told me ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2008, 03:42 PM

Default Possible revision coming

An update from Linda. Mark helped me get my online profile to Dr. Regan. Dr. Regan's office told me that it is much easier for him to look at cases when GPN does the profiles. Dr. Regan, called about 5:30p.m. CST yesterday and I am excited. He said that my disks were put in wrong and they are causing a scoliotic deformity and that I have facet disease caused from them and some mild spinal stenosis. He said he has now taken ProDiscs out of 20 patients and has really refined his minimally invasive lateral technique to remove them. I asked if it would be the same technique that Anastasia had and he said that he had refined the procedure considerably since her surgery and it was much less invasive now. He said most of his 20 patients are doing well with considerably less narcotics and pain meds use. I kind of wonder how well all of those 20 patients are really doing because sometimes doctors don't really know how there patient are doing. I think sometimes they make an assumption that everyone is doing great when some aren't. I sure hope he is right. I wish I knew some of them so I could talk to them. Does anyone know any of them??? He never even mentioned fusing me with the disks in as being an option. He said that they need to come out. I am so glad. He wasn't convinced that L3/4 is as much of an issue as Dr. Peloza thought it was and wants me to have a diagnostic injection done at L3/4. I hope I can have that done here. I have already sent him 6 more questions to answer and copied Andrea, his assistant, on them. I asked him when he would be able to do it and he said not until after the middle of August because he was going on vacation. He just got back from vacation. It must be nice to take that many vacations...LOL! Ah, the price and rewards of being a gifted surgeon, I guess! I asked him how much it would cost and he said that he would have his people call me tomorrow and I should give them my insurance information and then they can come up with a price. If he does something at L3/4, he will put some sort of dynamic stablilization at that level. He said he could put another artificial disk there, but he would recommend the dynamic stabilization instead using some kind of flexible rods. I am in agreement with that. I asked him if he thought I might get some sort of life back and he said of course he couldn't give me a guarantee but that he thought there was a great probablility of me even being able to waterski again. He told me everyone assumes with a fusion they will be stiff but with the newer fusions that is just not so. He said I will be able to bend but would not be able to touch my toes. I can live with that! If I need to paint my toenails I will bend my knee and put my foot up on the bathroom counter. LOL! Got that one figured out. He says he has some 5 and 6 level fused patients that now waterski. I am scared to dream but I want to hang on to that hope so bad! I asked him how long I would be in the hospital and how long before I could travel back to Dallas. He said 3-4 days in the hospital and somewhere between 7-10 days before I could travel back to Dallas. I am going to talk to my friend and ask her if that sounds reasonable to her for a 3 level surgery? She only had one level done but it was the life-threatening level L4/5 which I also need. Well, at least Doctor Regan gave me some hope to hang on to. I have no idea how we will come up with the needed cash but if God is providing a solution, he will provide the finances so I am going to "try" not to worry about that for right now. My pain level has been so bad this last week but I stayed in bed on my back all day yesterday and today and it is down a bit now. This was such good news that it really elevated my mood but I have been so grumpy because I haven't been getting enough sleep. If anyone has any thoughts or questions, I welcome them! Thanks again! I will write more as I know what is going on.

Linda

ProDiscs- FDA study 2002 L4/5, L5/S1 failed surgery disks are malplaced in need of revision - awaiting some sort of resolution
Now have problems at L3/4 and SI joint problems too

ProDiscs- 01/2005 Dr. Bertagnoli in Bogen, Germany C5/6, C6/7 Success so far!
Old 07-24-2008, 05:25 PM

Default Good news

Well, Linda, I think you are on the right track. Dr. Regan's recommendation sounds reasonable, and his expectations for your recovery are downright inspiring. Did he say what exactly was causing the pain? Here's hoping the end really is in sight!

Hope
Old 07-24-2008, 06:10 PM

Default re: revision coming

Hi Hope,

Yes, he thinks the pain is coming from the bad placement of the disks and the scoliosis and facet disease that it is causing. More when I know anything.

Hugs,
Linda
Old 07-24-2008, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Wow Linda... that is a lot of progress.

I hope it works out that we get to finally meet in person when you come to Los Angeles. Please let me know your plans and we'll be sure to get together. It's been over 3 years since we ALMOST met in Bogen.... what a long and bumpy road for you.

I'm so pleased that you are now able to move forward and I do believe that Dr. Regan is a great choice for revisions.

Hey... in 2009, I'm expecting you to host the ADR waterski runion... the first annual one was blown away by my knee problems and Diane's surgeries.... let's hope that 2009 is better for all of us!

Talk to you soon... all the best,

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 07-24-2008, 09:20 PM

linda
we are all praying for you and wishing you some relieve from all this pain so you can get back to our life. if you need any thing yell.
chuck
facet block neg
lost all appeals BCBS 5 months of that
3 surgeons later
surgery with dr. bertagnoli aug 2nd 2006 in Bogen Germany Successfully ProDisc-L L-4 L-5
Old 07-25-2008, 05:50 PM

Default good news!

Linda,
Oddly I was just thinking of Dr.Regan (had a consultation w/him back in '06 arranged thru Mark/GPN). So glad to hear an option that sounds progressive has been offered re revision. Please keep us informed if you are so inlcined. Hope all goes GREAT for you! Maria
Old 07-25-2008, 07:56 PM

Default Thank you!

Thanks Hope, Chuck, Maria and Mark! I appreciate all of the well wishers and especially those of you who pray! Thanks again, Roblin
Old 07-26-2008, 07:54 AM

Hi L,

I wish you my very best for a long-lasting, successful outcome where you can regain your life.

W/regards, Allan
Old 07-26-2008, 01:31 PM

Default Re: revision

Thanks Allan, I sure hope this takes care of most or all of my pain issues. We are going out today to purchase a recliner to try and get me up out of bed a little more. Thanks again,
Roblin (Linda)
Old 07-26-2008, 07:38 PM

Linda,
Blairsara had a revision from Dr. Regan. I haven't noticed any updates from her in a while but she was doing very well.

The recommended L34 diagnostic injection is a great idea. Any diagnostic is a great idea even though it's not the level under consideration for the current revisions. I don't quite understand why a soft fusion could address all of the potential pain generators at L34 (discogenic, nerve, facet, muscle..). Seems like soft fusion would not address disk pain or nerve pain from bulge/herniation impingement.

I think revision is the way to go. I've heard the success rate of fusing ADR in-place is only 50% for reducing pain. Dr. Zeegers told me this at a GPN seminar.

Waterski is incredibly stressful on the lower back, especially on start-up when you're coming out of the water!

2003 L5S1 Charite
1981 L5S1 Discectomy
Old 07-29-2008, 05:10 AM

Default Re: revision

Jim,
Do you know how to contact Blairsara? I would very much like to know how she is doing now. How long ago was her revision and what level or levels?
Thanks,
Roblin (Linda)
Old 07-29-2008, 05:52 AM
Administrator

I just sent her an email... hopefully she'll be around soon,

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 07-30-2008, 10:55 PM

Default RE: Revision

I found out today that I will be having another discogram (the 4th) w/o a followup CT. I found out he can get the information without the CT and more radiation. I will also be having a MRI shortly too. So, things are moving right along to get my insurance pre-authorization for my surgery. I went back to my old pain management doctor today and he wrote for me to change the patch every 48 hours so I hope I can catch up on the pain. It has been pretty out of control the entire month of July. More as I know what and when it will be happening.
Roblin