Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Cervical Injections? in the Main forums forums; Can anyone shed any light on what type of cervical injections they've had. I have degeneration, a bulge and ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2008, 10:49 PM

Default Cervical Injections?

Can anyone shed any light on what type of cervical injections they've had. I have degeneration, a bulge and tear at c-5, c6. My doc is talking about a cortizone injection done posterior into the facet joints. I'm not sure why this would help but I understand it would be the least risky or invasive type of cervical injecion.

Anyone have experience here?
2 level Prodisc ADR L4-S1, Feb. 18, 2008 Dr. Bertagnoli - Straubing, Germany - SUCCESS -

Now I struggle with Neck Pain likely c5-7
PT, injections, rhizotomy.......MRI and CT Myleo not consistent with pain symptoms, waiting that out, keeping my passport valid
Old 08-25-2008, 02:10 AM
Administrator

Cheryl, I've not had any cervical injections. I've had them recommended by pain management doctors as a way to verify the questionable relationship between my c-spine and some unusual symptoms. (nerve sensations on the side of my face.... "just do a cervical epidural and if the symptoms go away, they come from your neck!")

It will be interesting to see if they help. If you get short term relief, you'll know more about where your symptoms are coming from. And you may get longer term relief if cooling off the inflammation will allow more healing to take place... stopping a vicious circle of inflamation causing more swelling causing more inflammation.

Please keep us posted... all the best,

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 08-25-2008, 04:07 AM

It appears you are referring to a Facet Joint block. This is typically performed with Anesthetic and Steroid.

There is a test where they push down on the top of your head and twist slightly to see if it causes pain. The test name starts with an "L" but I can neither say it or spell it, so searching for it isn't going to happen tonight. If that causes pain then they suspect the Facet Joints.

The Facet Block is both a therapeutic and diagnostic test. It either works or it doesn't.

Here is some pretty straight forward information:

http://www.allaboutbackpain.com/html...cet_block.html

If you can tolerate the 30 second advertisement here is a video of the Procedure.

Facet Joint Block - Watch a Facet Joint Block - Facet Joint Video - About.com

I have had this test at C4/5 and C5/6 on the right side only. It was done on an outpatient basis, took about around 25 minutes from the time they put me on the table. The test was done under Flourscopy. It's not terribly pleasant, but nothing to be afraid of either.

I checked into the Outpatient Clinic about 8 am, had the procedure around 9, sat in the recovery area for an hour or two - they do this so they can come and talk to you and ask you if it seems to have helped. Then left the outpatient clinic about 12:30pm.

I believe I paid around $800 out of pocket.

I've also had epidural injections which are similar, but the needle is placed in the epidural area of the spine and the injection material should work it's way around the inflamed area.

Again these procedures either work or they don't. If they do you buy time, and may actually by enough for a "cure" for a minor condition. The key is to reduce the swelling/inflammation so the nerves are no longer firing, and the pain goes away. Then your body can heal on it's own.

Your job at this point, is to simply ask your Doctor why he suspects the Facet Joints, and make sure you've been tested manually.

I'd like someone to inject about a quart of steroid into the back of my neck tonight - as a diagnostic of course.

HealthSynergyRx.com
Old 08-25-2008, 12:30 PM

Default thanks

Thanks for the great info.

Yes the doctor did perform the push and twist on my head although I did not specify any specific increase in pain at the point - it hurts all the time.

My understanding was that this injection was as much diagnostic as therapeutic and because it was the least risky in terms of cervical injections that is why he is doing this first.

I'll keep you posted.
2 level Prodisc ADR L4-S1, Feb. 18, 2008 Dr. Bertagnoli - Straubing, Germany - SUCCESS -

PT, injections, rhizotomy.......MRI and CT Myleo not consistent with pain symptoms, waiting that out, keeping my passport valid
Old 08-28-2008, 01:00 PM

Default Had Facet Joint Block yesterday

Well I survived the facet joint block yesterday - compared to ADR surgery this was not a bid deal. I was given slight sedation through an IV and the cortizone was shot through both sides of my neck.

So far I have no relief. He said it could take 3-4 days. At least I don't feel worse this morning.

I still am in disbelief that I am going down this path on my neck after low back surgery. It feels like deja vu.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:43 PM
Administrator

Cheryl, it will be good news if the facet injections are negative. You won't have the smoking gun that will explain your problem, but at least you'll still have options that would have been taken away if the facets were the problem.

BTW, how is your egg? Diane's scar looks great... still the slightest hint of an egg at the top... but I think her abs look great!

Talk to you soon,

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 09-04-2008, 12:14 AM

Egg scar looks great - sounds just like Dianes just a slight lump nothing to bothersome.

Facet joint block did not work. Back to the doctor for follow up next week. Not sure what the next course of action is. I know they are extremely skeptical of discogram in the neck but I assume thats coming next. Wish I had Dr. B here to do it.

I absolutely cannot return to my part time job as online customer service rep with the neck pain so I'd consider myself not functioning although you'd never know it to look at me.

My low back has been feeling more sore than usual the past two weeks, I thought it was the weather pressure here last week but thats gone now. It was really great prior to that so I don't know whats going on there.