Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Cervical Laminectomy followed by loss of biceps in the Main forums forums; Difficult for me 2 type so please excuse brevity. C3-7 laminectomy at Cedars-Sinai on 8-8-08, mainly ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2008, 12:13 AM

Default Cervical Laminectomy followed by loss of biceps

Difficult for me 2 type so please excuse brevity. C3-7 laminectomy at Cedars-Sinai on 8-8-08, mainly due to severe spinal cord compression, esp. @ 5-6. Next morning incredible pain and arms didn't work. All sensation normal. Hands worked and wrists and triceps improved rather quickly. Could push out and down (triceps), but not up (biceps, C 5-6). Initial diagnosis either stroke or blood clot. Tests and MRi ruled both out and showed cord inflammation. Several neurosurgeons, neurologists, and rehab doctors were consulted in hospital. Spent 28 days in hospital w/ 14 days of occupational and physical therapy with some improvement in functionality, but cannot lift arms, rendering me very helpless.

Prognosis unclear; everyone one is vague but supposedly optimistic esp. due to normal sensation, normal use of everything else, and reasonable coordination. Window of improvement said to be up to 18 months. Have been prescribed home caregiver, and home occupational and physical therapy to start Monday.

Insights? Advice? Similar story?
Old 09-07-2008, 10:13 PM

I wish I had some insights or advice. I am just so sorry this has happened to you. I assume that as part of the evaluation, EMG and nerve conduction studies were done--how were they interpreted?
Old 09-08-2008, 04:36 AM

I'm rather shocked to hear this and wish you my best. I live close to Cedar's.

Best - Allan
Old 09-08-2008, 04:27 PM
Administrator

KL, I have a client with similar short-term outcome from cervical laminoplasty in June 2006. Jan 2007, my notes say (partial, similar to yours) paralysis lasted 6 months, much improved, still improving. (by that time, he was better than pre-op, but still having substantial symptoms.)

I bumped into him earlier this year and he was reporting a complete recovery. Let me know if you'd like to talk to him...

All the best,

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 09-08-2008, 05:08 PM

Default re loss of biceps

KL,
I read this post yesterday and really didn't know what to say. Am sorry about the loss of your biceps use hopefully temporarily which will improve with nerve stimulation or other therapy. Is it the brachioradialis innervation that is affected? I should read up on this a bit but am wondering what type of therapy/treatment is going to be utilized.

I wish I had any suggestions or information however I'm hopeful the biceps use will return progressively within a good timeline and you are able to keep us posted. Wishing you my best with continued recovery.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:10 PM

Default Nerves can recover

Hi KL,
I'm so sorry to hear about your short-term outcome. If they docs are optimistic, I'd go with them. If nerves are damaged, but not severed, they usually do recover, slowly. Our son was in an accident that rendered his left arm paralysed due to massive insult to the brachial plexus. In fact we were given a very gloomy prognosis of one third chance of recovery to 65% of function. All nerves to the arm and shoulder muscles were damaged.
Nevertheless he did recover- almost completely. It took about nine months, but we began to see signs of recovery after about 6 weeks. I hope this gives you some optimism for your own recovery.

I sometimes think the folks who go blindly into these things with no research are better off than those of us who work so hard to make the 'right decision' and then get blindsided by some surprising hiccup.

I have thought of you often and will continue to wish for a full recovery.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:22 PM

I too *feel* very good that due to no obvious damage to your nerves you will recover from this irritation due to the surgery within those 18 month quoted. Remember be "patient" and give it time as the 1 year healing time frame is so very normal...
Old 09-09-2008, 01:16 AM

KL,

I am so sorry to hear that this has happened. I know it can be very scary. Though very different circumstances, a neuro told me vitamin B12 can help nerve damage. Amazingly my pm suggested accupuncture which may be premature but it made a believer out of this non-believer. Would be happy to recommend him (Woodland Hills) if and when you want to give it a try.

Please know you're in my thoughts.

Dale