Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss ADR 5 years on in the Main forums forums; Beyond a few x-rays I haven't had imaging diagnostics since 2004. The facets have been hurting for so ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2008, 07:47 PM

Default ADR 5 years on

Beyond a few x-rays I haven't had imaging diagnostics since 2004. The facets have been hurting for so long I'm thinking there's probably some type of visible hypertrophy, cysting or cartilage wear or who knows. I told my family doctor I wanted to go to the teaching hospital, like I did for pain management. I didn't want a surgeon to simply screen me for surgery. She wanted me to see one of their NS which I agreed to do without much protest mainly because she's been such an outstanding family doctor. Anyhow I'm scheduled to see the NS on Oct 9. Here's a summary time line of the past five years.

Aug-03 L5S1 Charite surgery - Great placement but suspected facet pain

Jan-04 MRI - Nothing remarkable going on, no conclusions on pain generator

Sep-04 Saw Dr.Zeegers at a GPN doctor-patient seminar in Fountain Valley. He wanted a CT Myleo to check for stenosis. Imaging was not entirely conclusive due to ADR artifact.

Mar-05 Major flare up in cervical never dies down

Jun-06 Facet nerve block positive for L5S1 facets

Oct-08 Scheduled to see NS

As I get results I'll post them here. Let me know if you have comments or suggestions.

2003 L5S1 Charite
1981 L5S1 Discectomy
Old 09-30-2008, 03:01 AM

Jim, I wish you my very best during this tough time. Sorry no bank transfer instead.

Best, Allan
Old 09-30-2008, 07:30 AM

Jim,

Sorry to hear you are having a tough time. I can sympathize with your pain. Keep us posted.
2 level Prodisc ADR L4-S1, Feb. 18, 2008 Dr. Bertagnoli - Straubing, Germany - SUCCESS -

Now I struggle with Neck Pain likely c5-7
PT, injections, rhizotomy.......MRI and CT Myleo not consistent with pain symptoms, waiting that out, keeping my passport valid
Old 09-30-2008, 04:30 PM

Default update

Hey Jim,
Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear you still have residual pain and hope that something will bring you relief in the future if only time.

Nothing new here. No surgeries planned. Cervical area flaring up more than lumbar so that's fun (not). Can't complain too much tho re lumbar pain if not aggravated re sitting/overdoing/thinking I'm WonderWoman for a day (usually after an ESI).

Wishing you better days as I do anyone with spinal grief! Keep us posted w/any new info
Old 10-11-2008, 01:56 AM

I saw the NS Thursday. She feels the ADR is inoperable and as a result she isn't interested in the area except for x-rays to make sure nothing has fallen out of place. She says it looks fine. I'm not so sure. In the picture below 2003 is on the left, 2008 on the right. Here's my observations on 2008 vs 2003.

1) notable bone growth around the back edge of the upper plate

2) low grade spondylolisthesis L5 on S1 (or should this be viewed as loss of retrolisthesis?)

3) some deformation of the poly core as evidenced by loss of symetry of the floating ring

4) the gap in the floating ring has moved from the back to the side

Lateral X-ray Comparison: 2003 vs 2008

2003 L5S1 Charite
1981 L5S1 Discectomy

Last edited by Jim M2; 10-15-2008 at 04:36 PM. Reason: replace link with pictures
Old 10-12-2008, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Jim,

What does she mean inoperable? If your facets are the problem, adding posterior instrumentation is certainly doable. If it is felt that the prosthesis must go, revision at L5-S1 is not nearly as scary as it is at L4-5. I've seen both of these surgeries this summer and know many others.

Do you have an AP and flex/ext xrays?

The ring is supposed to move around...

Calling you now.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org