Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss New Here... in the Main forums forums; I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Justin. I like slow walks on the beach... Anyway, even though my ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2009, 05:06 AM

Thumbs up New Here...

I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Justin. I like slow walks on the beach... Anyway, even though my join date shows 2007, I really haven't started posting until this week.

It will be great to get to know everyone here and build a strong community that embraces open discussion about issues that truly matter to spine patients. Thanks for this site Mark, and I hope I can contribute in a meaningful way.
Laminotomy L4/L5 (3.7.97--17 years old)
1999 & 2003 MVA (not at fault both times)
Grade V Tears L4/L5 & L5/L6
2-Level ProDisc® L4/L5 & L5/L6* *lumbosacral transitional vertebra (11.15.03--23 years old)
Dr. Rudolf Bertagnoli -- dr-bertagnoli.com
Pain-free for the last 4.5 yrs.
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
I'm here to help. Only checking PMs currently.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:51 PM

Justin,

Would like to take you up on your offer to help . Would you read my posts under: Willow Beach Sandy, New Here, need some answers.

Sandy Wade Or Sandra L on other site

Last edited by SandyW; 01-16-2009 at 03:52 PM. Reason: added name on other site
Old 01-16-2009, 10:53 PM

Welcome Justin.

Welcome Sandy L.

There seems to be a mass exodus happening someplace else. Someone's ego must have gotten in the way and bit him in the behind.

I hope we turn this in to a rockin' atmosphere.

Terry Newton
Old 01-17-2009, 01:33 PM

Default like slow walks too...

That's a good one Justin. I remember you from before your ADR surgery I believe. I'm glad it served you well for the time it did and hope you will be feeling less or no pain soon enough. As for me, chickened out on more surgery. At least for now. Waiting for TSR (total spine replacement)

Anyway, welcome and glad you are here
Old 01-17-2009, 02:30 PM

Default slow walks

Justin,

It's amazing anyone from Philly is brave enough to walk slowly anywhere (due to muggers).

In north GA, we only walk quickly when we hear banjo music and are asked if we can squeal like a pig.......(re: Deliverence).

Good luck in Belize and with your leg pain. I hope it resolves itself peacefully.

Bob
04/07 Recurrent Disc Surgery L5/S1
3 Ortho and 1 Neuro Surgeon, 3 MRIs, 1 EGM, 1 Myleogram & 11 EDIs later:
03/27/09 Maverick ADR at L4/L5 & L5/S1
03/27/09 The Lord and Dr. Ritter-Lang returned my life to me.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:21 PM

Justin,

When do you leave for Belize? Does your wife get to join you for any part of it? That would be nice. I have a question for you. I do go get my 6 month post op fusion cat scan and x-ray in roughly 2.5 weeks, but.... this has really been disconcerting to me. I feel and hear this clunk sound in my low back when I move or stretch a certain way. It's a real obvious clunk, almost like something is catching, if you will. I don't know how else to explain it. It has me worried that maybe I'm not fusing and something is messed up with the hardware. Does that remotely sound like a hardware issue? I realize I should know something soon, I'm just wigging out. Some good news: I will be getting some last minute injections in both my trochanteric bursa this Monday, before we leave for Mexico. I hope they help. At 22 below up here in Minnesota yesterday, I can't wait to get out of here for a week! Give me some sunshine, baby! Please keep me posted on your status as well. What's next for you? Besides Belize?!

Cindylou
Old 01-17-2009, 08:01 PM

Default Hallo

Hi Dr. J,

Nice to see you and I hope that you're/you will feel better. Is it too late for me to wheel you "guys'" baggage?

Edit: I read elsewhere about your month-long rotation. This w/be great and may you have fun among dengue, lieshmaniasis (sic), and other fun.

Best, Allan

Last edited by ans; 01-17-2009 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:43 PM

It certainly has been a cold, snowy, Winter so far. We have had way below zero on the thermometer and have had over 86" of snow so far.

Remember all to use your Trax in the ice and snow. No desire to hear about my friends here getting injured.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 01-17-2009, 09:53 PM

Default Belize???

Justin,

I missed this or maybe I'm jealous. Have a super time, no pain ok? And thank you again.

Sandy
**Dec. 2007 numbness and weakness in left arm/thumb, x-rays, MRI, discs at C4-7 pushing on spinal cord, fusion or ADR out of country
**April 7, 2008, discogram at C3-4, surgery 4 levels, Prodisc-C, Dr. Bertagnoli, Germany
Old 01-18-2009, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Allen Blackburn View Post
It certainly has been a cold, snowy, Winter so far. We have had way below zero on the thermometer and have had over 86" of snow so far.

Remember all to use your Trax in the ice and snow. No desire to hear about my friends here getting injured.

Terry Newton
Never heard of Trax? I'm not from the North though. We enjoyed mid 70's today, very nice weather. We will be lucky to have a 'real snow'. Anytime it snows here, it is rare and hardly ever sticks. We had one of the biggest snows I can remember last year, it was 2 or maybe 3" at the most. We had a blast playing outside, making snowmen, snowangels, hanging out at the house (shows how little snow we experience, we don't even drive when it snows.... I know all of you from the North are lol at me right now) Usually the coldest we see if mid 20's. I can't even fathom below 0. I can't even force myself to put on real clothes when it is less than 60 outside, barely get out of my warm bed; just wear sweats all day and don't leave unless I have to. I like to have the fireplace going if it is 60 or less. Don't care much for winter, I do enjoy the snow, even though it is only once a year, if that. I love summer, lots of swimming to keep cool. Don't know how all of you handle it.
Numerous MRI's, PT, chiropractic, accupuncture, TENS therapy, massage therapy, facet injections, epidural injections, Nerve study, Discogram, confirms pain in L4/5, IDET, decompression, Bi-lateral neurotomy L3/4/5, denied by insurance twice, in Active L clinical trial, had surgery March 17, 2009 in Miami, FL- received Active L disc
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 01-18-2009, 04:50 PM

When do you leave for Belize? Does your wife get to join you for any part of it? That would be nice.

Actually, my wife will be going with me. I am just scheduling the rotation now, but I won't actually be in Belize until sometime in 2010--I'm still trying to decide the month. As you can see, we have to plan rotations well in advance.

I have a question for you. I do go get my 6 month post op fusion cat scan and x-ray in roughly 2.5 weeks, but.... this has really been disconcerting to me. I feel and hear this clunk sound in my low back when I move or stretch a certain way. It's a real obvious clunk, almost like something is catching, if you will. I don't know how else to explain it. It has me worried that maybe I'm not fusing and something is messed up with the hardware. Does that remotely sound like a hardware issue? I realize I should know something soon, I'm just wigging out.

The clunking sound does sound interesting, but I don't want to jump to any conclusions. I remember many patients on various forums that reported similar "sounds," most of which were transient in nature. At this point, I wouldn't worry--I know easier said then done. The upcoming xray should help greatly. Keep us posted.

Some good news: I will be getting some last minute injections in both my trochanteric bursa this Monday, before we leave for Mexico. I hope they help. At 22 below up here in Minnesota yesterday, I can't wait to get out of here for a week! Give me some sunshine, baby!

Wow, this is great news! I hope they help. Have a great time in Mexico--it should be a lot warmer than 22 below!!

Please keep me posted on your status as well. What's next for you? Besides Belize?!

My next step is a lumbar myelogram on 1/30. Drs. Bertagnoli and Fenk-Mayer have been waiting on my myelogram to "definitively" say what's going on. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but I don't think the myelogram will reveal anything positive.

Have fun in Mexico--I'm jealous--where in Mexico are you headed???
2-Level ProDisc® L4/L5 & L5/L6* *lumbosacral transitional vertebra (11.15.03--23 years old)
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:52 PM

Talk about spoiled! 70 degrees...wow! It was below zero here all weekend. Nothing like bone chilling cold...if it's going to be that cold, I wish we were getting snow like Terry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Earhart View Post
Never heard of Trax? I'm not from the North though. We enjoyed mid 70's today, very nice weather. We will be lucky to have a 'real snow'. Anytime it snows here, it is rare and hardly ever sticks. We had one of the biggest snows I can remember last year, it was 2 or maybe 3" at the most. We had a blast playing outside, making snowmen, snowangels, hanging out at the house (shows how little snow we experience, we don't even drive when it snows.... I know all of you from the North are lol at me right now) Usually the coldest we see if mid 20's. I can't even fathom below 0. I can't even force myself to put on real clothes when it is less than 60 outside, barely get out of my warm bed; just wear sweats all day and don't leave unless I have to. I like to have the fireplace going if it is 60 or less. Don't care much for winter, I do enjoy the snow, even though it is only once a year, if that. I love summer, lots of swimming to keep cool. Don't know how all of you handle it.
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:22 PM

Default Trax

Hi Kathy.

Trax is a must in snow country, See what your missing.Chains for your shoes, or cleats

It is ten below in the valley and Thirty above on top of the mountains.

Gil
L4-L5 Annular fissure with mild central stenosis and moderate facet hypertrophy.
L5-S1DDDDD
L2-L3 Right-sided neural foraminal narrowing at and L3-L4 related to posterolateral hypertrophic spurs and facet hypertrophy.
C3-C4 limited DDD
9 injections Depo. P.T. 13 months 5 dose packs,
Nerve Block Injections.4 ESI S1
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
L4-L5 Microdiscectomy 09 Reherniate 4-2010
Coflex-L Implants L4 to S1

Last edited by Gil Denis; 01-18-2009 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:40 PM

California is a hard place to live. The traffic is ridiculous, the cost of living is high and we're taxed into the poor house, traffic is ridiculous, crime is rampant, traffic is ridiculous and gas is higher than anywhere else in the US, and water is scarse and expensive but it's been in the 80s in Los Angeles for 2 weeks now. This coming week we're supposed to have more 'normal' temps, around the mid to high 60s. My winter coat is a heavy sweater. Then again, our summers are hot. Did I mention the traffic

Oh, one more thing, we do get an occasional earthquake but anything below a 5 is just a blink.

Snow, what's snow? (I was born and raised in Brooklyn)
Old 01-18-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshobbies View Post
California is a hard place to live. The traffic is ridiculous, the cost of living is high and we're taxed into the poor house, traffic is ridiculous, crime is rampant, traffic is ridiculous and gas is higher than anywhere else in the US, and water is scarse and expensive but it's been in the 80s in Los Angeles for 2 weeks now. Did I mention the traffic
What's the traffic like?
Numerous MRI's, PT, chiropractic, accupuncture, TENS therapy, massage therapy, facet injections, epidural injections, Nerve study, Discogram, confirms pain in L4/5, IDET, decompression, Bi-lateral neurotomy L3/4/5, denied by insurance twice, in Active L clinical trial, had surgery March 17, 2009 in Miami, FL- received Active L disc
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 01-18-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Denis View Post
Hi Kathy.

Trax is a must in snow country, See what your missing.Chains for your shoes, or cleats

It is ten below in the valley and Thirty above on top of the mountains.

Gil
Wow, I have heard of people here putting chains on their tires to drive; but never on the shoes. Good idea though, because I would be the one who busted my a$$ in the ice/snow; coordination is not a gift of mine.

Is Jackson anywhere by Jacksonhole? My step-brother and his wife live in Driggs, ID (in the mountains). His wife works in Jacksonhole. I went there one year in August and it was already in the low 70's in the day and at night it got cold, 50's. They said they get like 6-8 weeks of summer in the mountains. No way I would live there. Give me the Texas heat and tornadoes.
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 01-18-2009, 07:05 PM

Justin, I went to Belize last February. You can check out my pictures here csciambi's photos and albums on webshots , to give you something to look forward to.

You are doing a rotation in Belize, what kind of rotation? The only rotation I am familiar with is that of grad students rotating in different labs to see which one they might want to do their research in.

Well, 2010 will give you a lot of time to prepare. I look forward to hearing more about the reason for you trip (maybe I will find that info elsewhere on this site), and what you will be doing while you are there.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:57 PM

I'll have to take a look at your pictures soon! I'm actually doing an elective rotation:

Quote:
I'm setting up a month rotation in Belize. It's going to be great--wilderness/remote/expedition, tropical/jungle, survival medicine. I can't wait...plus, I'll get some much needed SCUBA in!
Quote:
Originally Posted by treefrog View Post
Justin, I went to Belize last February. You can check out my pictures here csciambi's photos and albums on webshots , to give you something to look forward to.

You are doing a rotation in Belize, what kind of rotation? The only rotation I am familiar with is that of grad students rotating in different labs to see which one they might want to do their research in.

Well, 2010 will give you a lot of time to prepare. I look forward to hearing more about the reason for you trip (maybe I will find that info elsewhere on this site), and what you will be doing while you are there.
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:06 PM
Administrator

frog... I'll have someone deal with the avatars and upload files on Tuesday. (Monday holiday here.) I looked at your Avatar and wondered what was that big tower behind you. I just stumbled into the source photo on your Belize pages.... very cool!

Justin is a good guy who's gotten into doctoring for all the right reasons... but so are most of the doctors I know. I believe that he's going to be an exceptional doctor because he will understand so much more of what we face. While we all get it that our friends, coworkers, family... even spouses can't understand what we are dealing with, the sad truth is that is also true for (most of) our spine surgeons and even pain management doctors. They think they get it on an intellectual level, but there is still something missing. Justin knows! Yes, he'll be a great doc...

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 01-18-2009, 08:28 PM

I was hesitant about going to Belize with my pain, but it was the opportunity of a lifetime that I just could not pass up. I have not been many places outside the US, only one trip to Jamaica. My sister has a friend who owns a house in Belize and had invited her and another friend down for a visit. My sister was able to extend the invitation to me as well.

The roads were the worst as far as my back goes, not helped by our hosts driving abilities . But I wouldn't have passed it up for anything. I was able to climb up and down the pyramids, though we made sure to schedule recovery days in between most of the more active days. I did ask my doctor if it would be safe for me to do the zipline through the jungle, and the inner-tube down the river through the caves, and she did say I should be fine. Which was wonderful as those were two things I really wanted to do, and I highly recommend.

One place that we did not go was to any of the Cayes. Her house was up in the mountains, so it would have required at least three days to make it worthwhile, and there were just too many other things we wanted to do. Next trip there .

Justin, let me know if you'd like any advice on things to do. We were there for two weeks, but maybe you will have enough time to do as many things as possible. I would say that you might want to avoid high summer and the rainy season (which I think starts in March). Really the best time is Winter, maybe November to February.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:58 AM

Gil, I wonder where you live. This weather pattern is seen in Gunnison, CO and in Fairbanks. (Former ecologist/failed meterologist here). My best to all. - ans
Old 01-19-2009, 01:26 PM

Justin, wow, you do have to plan way in advance. Silly me, for thinking you're right around the corner from leaving.
We are going to a place in Puerta Vallarta called Casa Velas Hotel Boutique. I think we have a Grand Class Suite. My husband went to his favorite travel site last summer and bid on it. No one was thinking "Mexico" in the summer, so no one else even bid on it and we won it for a kicka__ price! I'm already packed. Can you tell how ready I am to get to a warm destination? Like yesterday! Normally, I am out skiing alot in the winter, but since I have not been able to do that, winter is going by at a snail pace for me this year. I do get my two trochanteric bursa injections today. Can't wait. Hopefully, they'll give me good relief. Take care!

Cindylou
bicycle accident 6/01: 2 compression fractures @ T12-L1; vertibroplasty; 4/06: right hip labral tear & arthroscopic repair; 4/07: lumbar prodiscs @ 3 levels, L3-6 by Dr. Bertagnoli; 7/02/08: ALIF L6-S1; 7/30/08: reopened to remove bone cement, leaked onto S1 nerve root; 8/08: pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion; ALIF fusion complete; 3/10/09: SI Joint Fusion by Dr. Stark; Jury still out.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:09 PM

Talking ten below

Hi ANS

Well it is ten below this morning in Jackson Hole Wyoming in the valley of the Grand Tetons.50 miles South of Yellowstone Park.
Come and visit sometime.
Please come in the summer it is much warmer mid 80s in the day and 50s at night,very dry climate

Hope all is well

Thanks

Gil
L4-L5 Annular fissure with mild central stenosis and moderate facet hypertrophy.
L5-S1DDDDD
L2-L3 Right-sided neural foraminal narrowing at and L3-L4 related to posterolateral hypertrophic spurs and facet hypertrophy.
C3-C4 limited DDD
9 injections Depo. P.T. 13 months 5 dose packs,
Nerve Block Injections.4 ESI S1
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
L4-L5 Microdiscectomy 09 Reherniate 4-2010
Coflex-L Implants L4 to S1
Old 01-19-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkdoc714 View Post
Justin,

It's amazing anyone from Philly is brave enough to walk slowly anywhere (due to muggers).

In north GA, we only walk quickly when we hear banjo music and are asked if we can squeal like a pig.......(re: Deliverence).

Good luck in Belize and with your leg pain. I hope it resolves itself peacefully.

Bob
Bob, the mental images are great! Thanks for the well wishes--my legs are stubborn little you-know-whats. By the way, I saw in another thread that your wife made the decision to pursue ADR for her cervical issues--a big congrats!! Surgery is a big step to make. Keep us posted on your issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by ans View Post
Hi Dr. J,

Nice to see you and I hope that you're/you will feel better. Is it too late for me to wheel you "guys'" baggage?

Edit: I read elsewhere about your month-long rotation. This w/be great and may you have fun among dengue, lieshmaniasis (sic), and other fun.

Best, Allan
Allan, great to see you on here! Yeah, I can wait to be a medical experiment myself. Good times. We do need someone to "tote" our bags--you're our man! How are you by the way???
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.