Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Have you heard of any of these dr's? in the Main forums forums; Ok, so I am looking up other adr trials to see if I can qualify for one. The active L ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2009, 04:05 AM

Default Have you heard of any of these dr's?

Ok, so I am looking up other adr trials to see if I can qualify for one. The active L trial only lists 'current litigation as a result of medical negligence' as an exclusion, not previous litigation. It looks like some there are still trials going on in states other than Texas. So, I could definitely fly somewhere and have surgery. I wanted to know if anyone has any knowledge of these surgeons doing the trials; even if it is just something you heard- any information would be helpful.
Here they are:

Dr. Vikas Patel, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center; Aurora, Colorado

Dr. James J Yue, Yale University School of Medicine/New Haven Hospital; New Haven Conneticuit

Dr. Steven Dennis, Hoag Memorial Hospital Presbyterian; Newport Beach, California

Dr. Rolando Garcia, Aventura Hospital and Medical Center; Aventura, Florida

Dr. Harel Deutsch, Rush University Medical Center; Chicago, Illinois

Dr. Dzung Dinh, Neurosciences and Education Research Foundation; Peoria, Illinois

Dr. Mick Perez-Cruet, Providence Hospital and Medical Center; Southfield Michigan

Dr. Glenn Butterman, HealthEast St. John's Hospital; Maplewood, Minnesota

Dr. Federico Girardi, Hospital for Special Surgery; New York, New York

Dr. Domadoj Coric, Carolinas Healthcare; Charlotte, North Carolina

Dr. David Hart, University Hospitals Case Medical Center; Cleveland Ohio

Dr. Andrew Dailey, University of Utah; Salt Lake City, Utah

Thanks for your input,
Kathy
Numerous MRI's, PT, chiropractic, accupuncture, TENS therapy, massage therapy, facet injections, epidural injections, Nerve study, Discogram, confirms pain in L4/5, IDET, decompression, Bi-lateral neurotomy L3/4/5, denied by insurance twice, in Active L clinical trial, had surgery March 17, 2009 in Miami, FL- received Active L disc
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 01-21-2009, 08:01 AM

Default Dr. Yue

Dr. Yue from Yale studied my records and tests; I never saw him in person so don't know much about him except that he was very efficient and studied and/or worked with Dr. B in Germany.

Adrienne
Old 01-21-2009, 10:42 AM

Yep, Dr. Yue would definitely be a player. Have heard nothing but good things about him.

Cindylou
bicycle accident 6/01: 2 compression fractures @ T12-L1; vertibroplasty; 4/06: right hip labral tear & arthroscopic repair; 4/07: lumbar prodiscs @ 3 levels, L3-6 by Dr. Bertagnoli; 7/02/08: ALIF L6-S1; 7/30/08: reopened to remove bone cement, leaked onto S1 nerve root; 8/08: pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion; ALIF fusion complete; 3/10/09: SI Joint Fusion by Dr. Stark; Jury still out.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:35 PM

Default re SoCal

Kathy,
You're the age I was when I originally hurt my back at work (1982) and I feel for what you're going thru.

If you find a trial in SoCal you want to check out and can get transportation there and I'm around at the time you're welcome to stay in my small humble abode. It's not much but it's a place to rest one's head.

I am thankful for my friends in San Francisco that gave me a place to stay during a period where I had a consultation and then a discogram tho they were almost 3 weeks apart. I didn't know the discogram was going to happen but thankfully it did and that was the first trial I qualified for 2 level ADR back in 2003. UCSF pulled the plug on it before my actual surgery date but I was living 3000 miles away at the time so was wondering how I was going to work out renting a place in SF as I didn't want to impose on friends for any length of time post op.

Oh well, I digress.. good luck in your search for trials and hope you qualify completely wherever it may be
Old 01-21-2009, 01:10 PM

Drs. Yue and Garcia have a lot of experience and are names that jump out at me.

Dr. Yue has trained with Dr. Bertagnoli in the past on lots of surgeries including incredibly hard multi-level cases (Mark will be able to give more details about this).

Dr. Garcia, if I remember correctly, played a substantial role (one of the lead investigators I believe) of the Charite IDE trial. I hope I am remembering this correctly...anyway, he is very well versed in ADR surgery.

Good luck!
Laminotomy L4/L5 (3.7.97--17 years old)
1999 & 2003 MVA (not at fault both times)
Grade V Tears L4/L5 & L5/L6
2-Level ProDisc® L4/L5 & L5/L6* *lumbosacral transitional vertebra (11.15.03--23 years old)
Dr. Rudolf Bertagnoli -- dr-bertagnoli.com
Pain-free for the last 4.5 yrs.
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
I'm here to help. Only checking PMs currently.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:23 PM

I just talked to Dr. Garcia's research department and they have 8 spots left! I told her about my previous litigation and she said that it was not an exclusion, nor was current litigation! I am about to check airfare for next week, so I can go out and see him, sign up for the trial and get all the pre-op workup. She was going to ask if the manufacturer if I could follow up with Dr. Zigler (who was also a researcher in the trial; but has done the max he can do), so I didn't have to keep flying back. Turns out that Aventura is in between Miami and Fort Lauderdale, so on the beach wouldn't be so bad. I had originally tried to get in this trial with Dr. Zigler; but it was already closed. From what the lady told me, it sounds like Dr. Garcia is really big into ADR. He was the first in the US to implant the Charite, teaches other dr's ADR and has been doing ADR since 1999. I am trying not to get to excited, just in case for some reason I don't qualify; but it's hard not to when you can see a possible end to your misery.

Thank you all for your replies, thank you for all your help! You guys are the best! I had to have my day of tears yesterday and sadness, and now I am ready to fight again.
Numerous MRI's, PT, chiropractic, accupuncture, TENS therapy, massage therapy, facet injections, epidural injections, Nerve study, Discogram, confirms pain in L4/5, IDET, decompression, Bi-lateral neurotomy L3/4/5, denied by insurance twice, in Active L clinical trial, had surgery March 17, 2009 in Miami, FL- received Active L disc
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 01-21-2009, 08:49 PM

What a difference a day makes. Sounds like a good plan, Kathy. Like the idea of Florida too. :-)
Old 01-21-2009, 09:42 PM

Kathy,

Good for you. And you are so right. You need a day (or more?) to scream, tantrum, cry, over something NOT going the direction you want it to. And then pick yourself back up and start over again. I think we could all write a book on the ups and downs of insurance denials, appeals, pain swallowing us whole, only to spit us back out again. It is not for the faint of heart. I hope this one with Dr. Garcia pans out for you. It sounds promising, that's for sure.

Cindylou
bicycle accident 6/01: 2 compression fractures @ T12-L1; vertibroplasty; 4/06: right hip labral tear & arthroscopic repair; 4/07: lumbar prodiscs @ 3 levels, L3-6 by Dr. Bertagnoli; 7/02/08: ALIF L6-S1; 7/30/08: reopened to remove bone cement, leaked onto S1 nerve root; 8/08: pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion; ALIF fusion complete; 3/10/09: SI Joint Fusion by Dr. Stark; Jury still out.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:46 PM

Hi Kathy,

I sent you a private PM on the other site.
If you catch my drift.
I am happy it looks like you have a solution. If things change, maybe you can use my advice.

runner
Old 01-21-2009, 10:23 PM
Administrator

I've seen Dennis as a patient. I understand that he's a good surgeon (from my local physical therapists), but problems with his office and scheduling blew him out of the water when I was trying to schedule my first discectomy with him.

I've spent a fair amount of time with Rolando Garcia at the conferences. A hobby of his is the history of ADR and he has some amazing stories to tell.

I've spent a lot of time with Yue and he has some unique training that makes him attactive.

Coric presents a lot at the conferences.
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 01-21-2009, 11:13 PM

Default Yea!!!

Garcia - Florida - sun - warm.

Yue - Connecticut - snow - cold.

Both good, but you're not used to the beautiful snow and nippy temps .

Know you're Good to Go, Kathy - - - yep a lady!

Sandy
**Dec. 2007 numbness and weakness in left arm/thumb, x-rays, MRI, discs at C4-7 pushing on spinal cord, fusion or ADR out of country
**April 7, 2008, discogram at C3-4, surgery 4 levels, Prodisc-C, Dr. Bertagnoli, Germany
Old 01-22-2009, 02:54 AM

Default I'm going to Florida next week!

I got an appointment, next Thursday the 29th with Dr. Garcia. I will be arrriving in Florida on Wednesday the 28th, in the afternoon and leaving Saturday the 31st, early morning. This will give me all day Thursday and Friday for the appointment, meeting the research people and signing up, then all the required tests and pre-op stuff. I am having to go alone, since we can't afford for both of us to go. That kinda sucks; but I suppose I will be busy. I will probably just hang out at the hotel and sleep in my spare time, not crazy about being in a strange place alone. It cost me $800 for the airfare, hotel and rental car (which was cheap for this area) Now, I just have to come up with enough money to pay for me to get back and stay for surgery. Please keep praying.
Kathy
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 01-22-2009, 11:45 AM

Kathy, I'm so happy to hear you got your appt. w/ Dr. Garcia. That's really good news. You'll do fine traveling alone. The first time is always kinda weird, but like you indicated, you will be very busy, which is all true. It's one thing to go outside your comfort zone, which can be a growing experience, but it's another to go outside of it while in pain. But you'll do it. You're strong and determined. We're pulling for you!

Cindylou
Old 01-22-2009, 01:47 PM

Yeah!! This is great news--God has a plan. I'm so excited for you Kathy. Keep us posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Earhart View Post
I got an appointment, next Thursday the 29th with Dr. Garcia. I will be arrriving in Florida on Wednesday the 28th, in the afternoon and leaving Saturday the 31st, early morning. This will give me all day Thursday and Friday for the appointment, meeting the research people and signing up, then all the required tests and pre-op stuff. I am having to go alone, since we can't afford for both of us to go. That kinda sucks; but I suppose I will be busy. I will probably just hang out at the hotel and sleep in my spare time, not crazy about being in a strange place alone. It cost me $800 for the airfare, hotel and rental car (which was cheap for this area) Now, I just have to come up with enough money to pay for me to get back and stay for surgery. Please keep praying.
Kathy
Laminotomy L4/L5 (3.7.97--17 years old)
1999 & 2003 MVA (not at fault both times)
Grade V Tears L4/L5 & L5/L6
2-Level ProDisc® L4/L5 & L5/L6* *lumbosacral transitional vertebra (11.15.03--23 years old)
Dr. Rudolf Bertagnoli -- dr-bertagnoli.com
Pain-free for the last 4.5 yrs.
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
I'm here to help. Only checking PMs currently.