Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Stenosis in the Main forums forums; Hi I have mild central stenosis and need ADR at two or three lumbar levels. Is this going to be ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2009, 03:03 AM

Question Stenosis

Hi
I have mild central stenosis and need ADR at two or three lumbar levels.
Is this going to be a problem in the future if I have ADR?
Has anyone dealt with this situation
Thank You

Gil
L4-L5 Annular fissure with mild central stenosis and moderate facet hypertrophy.
L5-S1DDDDD
L2-L3 Right-sided neural foraminal narrowing at and L3-L4 related to posterolateral hypertrophic spurs and facet hypertrophy.
C3-C4 limited DDD
9 injections Depo. P.T. 13 months 5 dose packs,
Nerve Block Injections.4 ESI S1
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
L4-L5 Microdiscectomy 09 Reherniate 4-2010
Coflex-L Implants L4 to S1

Last edited by Gil Denis; 01-28-2009 at 02:24 PM. Reason: add information
Old 01-28-2009, 02:26 PM

Default Reply

Hi.
just need any reply.

Thank You
Gil
L4-L5 Annular fissure with mild central stenosis and moderate facet hypertrophy.
L5-S1DDDDD
L2-L3 Right-sided neural foraminal narrowing at and L3-L4 related to posterolateral hypertrophic spurs and facet hypertrophy.
C3-C4 limited DDD
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
Old 01-28-2009, 03:13 PM

Good question, Gil. Someone will chime in soon. Hang in there.

Cindylou
bicycle accident 6/01: 2 compression fractures @ T12-L1; vertibroplasty; 4/06: right hip labral tear & arthroscopic repair; 4/07: lumbar prodiscs @ 3 levels, L3-6 by Dr. Bertagnoli; 7/02/08: ALIF L6-S1; 7/30/08: reopened to remove bone cement, leaked onto S1 nerve root; 8/08: pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion; ALIF fusion complete; 3/10/09: SI Joint Fusion by Dr. Stark; Jury still out.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:21 PM

Default Stenosis

Actually the ADR is contraindicated for stenosis (leg pain). However, sometimes the ADR will take care of the stenosis and sometimes not. I had to have the ADR and then posterior decompression surgery to remove the stenosis. Stenosis can be located at the foramen that are very difficult to open from the front (stomach or anterior appraach that must be used for the ADR).
Old 01-28-2009, 05:32 PM

Gil,

My MRI says "Overall spinal canal diameter is somewhat small, suggesting an element of congenital stenosis."

I was told that the need for ADR (cervical) was disc impingement on spinal cord and the stenosis of the spinal canal was not causing problems.

But I was concerned about what could be done after ADR if the stenosis caused pinched nerves or spinal cord problems later on. That nice doctor from Cleveland just blew my question off.

So yes I've wondering the same thing. Maybe we shouldn't worry about something until it happens ? What are our choices? Sandy
**Dec. 2007 numbness and weakness in left arm/thumb, x-rays, MRI, discs at C4-7 pushing on spinal cord, fusion or ADR out of country
**April 7, 2008, discogram at C3-4, surgery 4 levels, Prodisc-C, Dr. Bertagnoli, Germany
Old 01-28-2009, 06:21 PM

Gil,

I would think the ADR's efficacy would depend on what's causing the stenosis. This is an important question and I would definitely bring this up with the Dr..
Glomp on like a Pitt Bull if necessary, until he addresses it to your satisfaction.

Be sure to write down all your questions so you don't get sidetracked at your appointment. I find it's also good to bring another set of ears with you.

Good luck! Adrienne
Old 01-28-2009, 06:45 PM

Gil,

You received some good replies. I just wanted to point something out. If a patient has spinal stenosis this does not mean they inherently have problems (leg pain). Many patients present with spinal stenosis and do not have any symptoms. However, as degeneration of the spine is seen with increased age, patients can develop symptoms/problems (usually middle / older aged adults).

I gotta run...
Laminotomy L4/L5 (3.7.97--17 years old)
1999 & 2003 MVA (not at fault both times)
Grade V Tears L4/L5 & L5/L6
2-Level ProDisc® L4/L5 & L5/L6* *lumbosacral transitional vertebra (11.15.03--23 years old)
Dr. Rudolf Bertagnoli -- dr-bertagnoli.com
Pain-free for the last 4.5 yrs.
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
I'm here to help. Only checking PMs currently.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:22 PM
Administrator

For most of my bad lumbar time, I was 100% low back pain, 0% leg pain. By the time I had my surgery, I had spent many months 50/50. It was not that the back pain got better... I developed severe foot pain associated with the disc collapse at L5-S1 following my 2nd discectomy.

I went for my surgery hoping for relief from my LBP, expecting NO RELIEF for my leg pain. I was pleasantly suprised to get 95% relief of my leg pain with my ADR surgery, presumably from the increased disc height opening the foraminal space. I've never been able to stop the NSAIDS because of the remnant foot pain. That foot pain has gotten a little worse over the last year. I don't know if it's from my neck or lumbar spine. I know that neck problems can turn up the volume on lumbar issues.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 01-29-2009, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmglobal View Post
For most of my bad lumbar time, I was 100% low back pain, 0% leg pain. By the time I had my surgery, I had spent many months 50/50. It was not that the back pain got better... I developed severe foot pain associated with the disc collapse at L5-S1 following my 2nd discectomy.

I went for my surgery hoping for relief from my LBP, expecting NO RELIEF for my leg pain. I was pleasantly suprised to get 95% relief of my leg pain with my ADR surgery, presumably from the increased disc height opening the foraminal space. I've never been able to stop the NSAIDS because of the remnant foot pain. That foot pain has gotten a little worse over the last year. I don't know if it's from my neck or lumbar spine. I know that neck problems can turn up the volume on lumbar issues.

Mark
Mark,

I was the same way. I had my surgery shortly after the clinical trials in the states. The inclusion criteria included predominately low back pain. In the exclusion criteria, it stated leg pain as an exclusion.

I went into surgery with 95% LEG pain. I was praying to God that the surgery would help this ----- and it did. I woke up from surgery without any leg pain. (My "new" leg pain in my signature is a different issue.)

Interesting, nonetheless.
Laminotomy L4/L5 (3.7.97--17 years old)
1999 & 2003 MVA (not at fault both times)
Grade V Tears L4/L5 & L5/L6
2-Level ProDisc® L4/L5 & L5/L6* *lumbosacral transitional vertebra (11.15.03--23 years old)
Dr. Rudolf Bertagnoli -- dr-bertagnoli.com
Pain-free for the last 4.5 yrs.
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
I'm here to help. Only checking PMs currently.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:31 AM

Question Leg Pain

Hi Mark and Dr J
I have leg pain and numb heel, Some low back pain and some neck pain.
Do you think this is also neck related or just lumbar?
Tahnks
Gil
L5-S1DDDDD
C3-C4 limited DDD
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
Old 01-29-2009, 03:10 PM

Hi Gil I cant tell you the answer. I can only say that I had neck and shoulder pain vey badly for 2 years before being told I had cervical DDD, and foraminal stenosis. Then I developed heel and buttock pain, so they were , and are, all going on at the same time. My MRI shows very mild disc dehydration on the 2 lower lumbar discs, nothing significant, and facet degenerationon L5 S1 and a cyst there too. I am unsure whether the neck caused all of this and it was left too long.

In my opinion the most important thing is to have a great surgeon who you trust in and find out from him or her what is causing your problems. Then hopefully sort them. My friend had lumbar stenosis and she had a fusion which worked for her. God knows what is causing my heels and buttock pains lets hope its the cyst! Hope you can find the answers and confidence you need from your surgeon, and the questions to ask and advice from the forum, all the best Marion
Diagnosed mild disc dehydration L4/5L5S1 and facet dengeneration L5S1 Facet Cyst L5S1 ADR Active C C5/6C6/7 Sept 08 reduction in pain gradually by 50-60% Buttock and heel pain remain . Meds Pregablin, Tramadol, Co Codymol, Voltarol
Retunred to work Jan 09
Old 01-29-2009, 11:39 PM

Gil,
I have leg pain that was present before the ADR surgery and the same after surgery. I also had a decompression to help but it only relieved it a little. I do wonder is necks add more lumbar pain since I also have a problem there also. It is so hard to know if the ADR will help the stenosis by giving the foramina more room. Most doctors want to concentrate on one area at a time and having had surgery I can't imagine having two areas operated on at one?
Phylly
Discogram concordant pain @L4-S1 Aug. 07
Prodisc ADR's at L4-S1 November 2007
Foraminotomy July 08 for Sciatica
Continued problems and back pain worsened
Prodiscs removed and discs fused at L4-S1 Feb. 09
Old 01-30-2009, 12:08 AM

Gil,

I have a few levels of stenosis. Stenosis itself can come from a few different sources, bone growth inside the spinal canal, foraminal canal bone growth or a combination of either of these along with disc narrowing. You'll hear definites such as "if you get pain while leaning back, it's stenosis, leaning forward, it's a disc issue." This statement is only true in certain instances.

My spinal canal measurements are within "normal" range but in conjunction with the reduced disc height and foraminal narrowing, the dynamics make my cauda equina look more like a snake than a horses tail. This is why I have had so many diagnosis for fusion and laminectomies and I've passed on all of them. They only treat one or two parts of a three part problem.

I'm guessing that if disc height can be restored or at least improved, the twists and turns will straighten out sort of like stretching out a coiled up garden hose.

Good luck to you and keep researching,

Bob
04/07 Recurrent Disc Surgery L5/S1
3 Ortho and 1 Neuro Surgeon, 3 MRIs, 1 EGM, 1 Myleogram & 11 EDIs later:
03/27/09 Maverick ADR at L4/L5 & L5/S1
03/27/09 The Lord and Dr. Ritter-Lang returned my life to me.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:13 AM

Thumbs up reply

Hi Bob
Thanks for your post. Let me know the results on your meeting.

Thank you
Gil
L5-S1DDDDD
C3-C4 limited DDD
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
Old 01-30-2009, 05:20 PM

Phylly,

I had decompression post ADR by Laser Spine Institute. The leg pain remained so I went to Bonati Institute and they resolved the pain with a redo decompression.

4/08 Bonati Institute - redo of L5/S1 right
8/08 Bonati Institute - redo of L5/S1 left
12/08 Bonati Institute - redo of L4/5 right and left

9/8/09 Piriformis surgery for sciatica and cramping