Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss frustrated with meds-- 1 week post op in the Main forums forums; I am one week post op laminectomy/discectomy and then another explorative surgery to relieve extreme inflammation from the previous ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-11-2009, 01:27 AM

Default frustrated with meds-- 1 week post op

I am one week post op laminectomy/discectomy and then another explorative surgery to relieve extreme inflammation from the previous procedures. Now my docs want me to start decreasing narcotics. I have been doing this all along but they want me to take tylenol-- which does absolutely nothing for my pain. I'm not trying to be a baby and I know the downfalls of narcotics as I am a social worker but going from Morphine to Oxycodone to Tylenol is somewhat extreme. There must be another option?? Sorry to moan but I still have pain (yes it has decreased and I have decreased meds). Does anyone else have these experiences or suggestions on how to manage the pain?? Thanks for all the help as I am still new to this site.

Sarah

31 Year old social worker
work injury January 2008
Have undergone PT, epidural injections without success
2008 MRI/discogram/CT-scan confirm damages L4-L5 herniation L5-S1 annular tear and protrusion
Jan. 2009 Yale-- Dr. Yue--emergency discectomy/laminectomy L4-L5 exploratory surgery postop 1 week due to increased pain -- swelling complications pressing on nerve roots
Possible candidate for 2 level Pro-Disc

Sarah G.