Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Living in limbo in the Main forums forums; I am what Mark calls an"outlier" - not typical of spine patients. He asked me to post my ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2009, 10:09 PM

Default Living in limbo

I am what Mark calls an"outlier" - not typical of spine patients. He asked me to post my latest findings, just to prove that there are no right answers!

Five years ago, I was diagnosed with moderate to severe cord compression at c3/4/5 and DDD everywhere. I was advised to have surgery immediately by several NS. However, the slight symptoms I had disappeared. My own local NS eventually agreed that there was no urgency, a good thing as he proposed a very drastic preventive multi-level fusion.

However I had meanwhile found Mark and Dr. Bertagnoli who advised that surgery was probably a good idea and recommended a much less invasive surgery. Various circumstances forced me to postpone the surgery with him several times over a 2 year period. As I was feeling 100 percent I asked if perhaps I might avoid surgery for a while and was given a cautious green light to "watchfully wait".

I just had an update from Dr.B./F.M. who advised that while there did not appear to be any progression on my latest MRI, the degeneration is usually progressive - i.e. at some point I will have to bite the bullet. In the meantime, I should continue having an annual MRI and sending it to them to review.

I'm physically active and haven't changed my lifestyle at all. So - here I am, watchfully waiting and spending a lot of time in denial!

Last edited by fortitudine; 02-16-2009 at 10:14 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:09 AM

Puzzling but wonderful, Fortitudine. What tipped the balance for me were changes in my EMG and subtle but increasing weakness in my arm, rather than visible MRI changes. So I hope that you will have follow-up neuro evals as well as annual MRI's. With luck, you won't have to bite the bullet for many more years if ever!
Old 02-17-2009, 02:44 AM

fortitudine,

I'm showing my ignorance here, but I still don't understand what "outlier" means. If you were having no symptoms, what lead you to a doctor 5 years ago to begin with? If I had no symptoms, I would be skipping the lights fantastic, no matter what the MRI or Cat Scan were showing, so you must have had some "symptoms" to even be given a "diagnosis." Are you following me? It's late. I'm tired, granted. So forgive me not understanding this. But, I would be lassoing the moon if I had no symptoms, irregardless what the MRI/Cat Scan revealed. What am I missing here? Unless I were shitting myself or peeing myself, who gives a ripping, roaring f___ what the tests show? Forgive my french!

Cindylou
bicycle accident 6/01: 2 compression fractures @ T12-L1; vertibroplasty; 4/06: right hip labral tear & arthroscopic repair; 4/07: lumbar prodiscs @ 3 levels, L3-6 by Dr. Bertagnoli; 7/02/08: ALIF L6-S1; 7/30/08: reopened to remove bone cement, leaked onto S1 nerve root; 8/08: pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion; ALIF fusion complete; 3/10/09: SI Joint Fusion by Dr. Stark; Jury still out.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:59 AM

An outlier is someone who falls outside of the norm of what the tests or procedures would normally dictate as a usual course of action. It is on the outside, of a bell curve, in a normal statistical variance.

I hope that is as clear as mud.

I hope this continues for you where you are a continual outlier.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 02-17-2009, 03:01 AM

Thank-you Terry!

Cindylou
bicycle accident 6/01: 2 compression fractures @ T12-L1; vertibroplasty; 4/06: right hip labral tear & arthroscopic repair; 4/07: lumbar prodiscs @ 3 levels, L3-6 by Dr. Bertagnoli; 7/02/08: ALIF L6-S1; 7/30/08: reopened to remove bone cement, leaked onto S1 nerve root; 8/08: pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion; ALIF fusion complete; 3/10/09: SI Joint Fusion by Dr. Stark; Jury still out.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:26 AM

I'm envious. I only wish my symptoms hadn't become severe. I think I would have been content to live with limited pain/disability but my symptoms were quite definitive.

Knowing what I know now, I'd put off surgery as long as possible/probable.

Good going!
Old 02-17-2009, 04:45 PM

Good post. Just goes to show that you can have a totally wretched looking MRI and be pain free. My husband got a freebie once because he knew some people where I was having mine done and his results were incredible. His discs were dessicated, bulging,impinging on this and that...just all over the place bad....yet he's totally pain free.

I suppose more importantly it shows that MRI's are only so useful in diagnosing the pain culprit.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:30 PM

Default How I found out

I went to my doc with some minor issues - a bit of numbness on the side of my thumb, a bit of a sore neck/shoulder, plus a bit of tightness in my hamstrings which was bothering me when I walked. I was sent for an MRI and voila. There was some edema in the cord which may have induced the symptoms. They mostly resolved. I don't know why. I have now had at least 6 MRIs and depending on who reads them the signs are more or less significant.

I still sometimes have some muscle pain in my shoulder and occasional twitches in muscles but otherwise am 100 percent. Lots of crepitus.

Sahuaro I'm curious about subtle weakening. How would I tell?
Old 02-17-2009, 07:04 PM
Administrator

This is a very interesting case. I've had dozens of conversations with many different neurologists and surgeons. There is clear cord compression and associated changes to the myelon. Some surgeons look at it and are certain that surgery should be done to minimize risk. We hear things like, "if you get in a fender bender or slip and fall, you may be paralyzed." Others say, with no symptoms, why do surgery? Everyone seems to agree that if neuro symptoms are advancing, surgery post-haste in indicated. One thing I know for certain is that there is no one size fits all in spine. Nobody knows the best path. Nobody knows the timeline.

If she were to have surgery and it makes her worse, she'd never know how many years she could have continued with little or no symptoms.

If she waits and is ultimately left with neuro issues related to the spinal cord compression, she'll never know if doing the surgery earlier would have made a difference in the outcome.

If she waits and has surgery at the onset of advancing symptoms and has a great outcome, then she'll know that she chose the best path in her individual case.

I hope that she gets to wait, then never needs surgery!

I'm not sure which path I'd choose. I'm waiting for my surgery, but I do NOT have spinal cord compression like she does... I get to make the quality of life decision without worrying about myelomalacia and permanent spinal cord damage. (He said as he is waiting for NEW cervical MRI... last one almost 1.5 years ago.)

Interesting discussion... interesting case... hits close to home for many of us.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org