Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss lipitor in the Main forums forums; Hello Does any one take lipitor or other statin drugs? I was told to stop taking 10 mg of Lipitor ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2009, 08:10 PM

Post lipitor

Hello
Does any one take lipitor or other statin drugs?
I was told to stop taking 10 mg of Lipitor due to side effects and nerve damage.
STATINS MAY CAUSE NERVE DAMAGE
A Danish study reports that some people who took statin drugs to lower cholesterol developed a type of nerve damage called polyneuropathy. Polyneuropathy is characterized by tingling, numbness and burning pain as well as decreased sensitivity to temperature or pain. When a person suffers nerve damage, a doctor is supposed to look for a cause, such as diabetes, lack of vitamin B12, Lyme disease, kidney disease, thyroid disease or alcohol abuse. People who had taken statins and developed polyneuropathies were checked for known causes of nerve damage. Researchers showed that people taking statins were 4 to 14 times more likely to develop polyneuropathy than those who did not take statins. Statins include Lescol, Lipitor, Mevacor, and Pravachol. Check with your doctor about any side effects from your medications.
Reference: Neurology May 14, 2002;58:1321-1322, 1333-1337

Well see if this is my leg nerve problem.
Two EPI and no results.
What do you think?
Gil
L4-L5 Annular fissure with mild central stenosis and moderate facet hypertrophy.
L5-S1DDDDD
L2-L3 Right-sided neural foraminal narrowing at and L3-L4 related to posterolateral hypertrophic spurs and facet hypertrophy.
C3-C4 limited DDD
9 injections Depo. P.T. 13 months 5 dose packs,
Nerve Block Injections.4 ESI S1
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
L4-L5 Microdiscectomy 09 Reherniate 4-2010
Coflex-L Implants L4 to S1
Old 02-17-2009, 09:04 PM

I've heard that about Lipitor. Going off it is definitely worth a try.
I guess you'll have to eat judiciously, but I'd eat nothing but celery molecules to get to the bottom of this numbness.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:13 PM

Thats a really worrying side effect. I've known that cholesterol lowering meds can cause muscle pain as my hubby has that side effect and it's well documented. He'll be thrilled I'm sure to hear of another potential nasty one especially as he's having cervical issues already. I hope it's not connected!
Old 02-18-2009, 03:07 PM

Default Zocor

I had started Zocor and was not on it regularly for less than 2 weeks probably but started feeling the quadracepts ache/burn that I use to get from my low back episodes. I wasn't experiencing any of the back prob so I contributed it to the medicine.

I also felt sort of hyper agitated but that may have been for other reasons. I stopped the drug and have not restarted it. My cholesterol is 269 and my LDL is 188. Family history of cardiac dx/strokes.

Just saw my PCP who recommended staying off the drug and retesting values. Referral to Cardiologist as well and diagnostic testing scheduled (anxiety related chest pain/pressure is my dx but has to be followed up per my PCP since I presented w/symptoms).

I did not like what I felt in my quads at all as this pain has been well managed for years with Gabapentin 1800mg/day and Methadone 12.5mg/day and ESIs 2-3x/year (mostly the drugs tho).
Old 02-18-2009, 03:30 PM

Default Lipitor

I was on Lipitor everyday for 6 years. I had lots of muscle and nerve problems but I also had so many orthopedic problems. Regardless I stopped Lipitor against my doctor's wishes and feel good about it. My cholestrol with Lipitor is 170 and without is 230. I need to monitor.

4/08 Bonati Institute - redo of L5/S1 right
8/08 Bonati Institute - redo of L5/S1 left
12/08 Bonati Institute - redo of L4/5 right and left

9/8/09 Piriformis surgery for sciatica and cramping
Old 02-18-2009, 07:28 PM

In spite of the fact that I am a hard core exercise junkie, my cholesterol makes me a heart attack waiting to happen. Statin drugs damn near killed me, due to the pain of taking them, with muscles aches and such. I have been on Tricor and Zetia for several years now which keeps my triglycerides and cholesterol in check without the side effects. Definitely worth a try.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5