Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Post dynesys removal experience in the Main forums forums; John, Thanks for sharing your story and I am sorry to hear all that you have been through. I hope ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2009, 08:00 PM

John,

Thanks for sharing your story and I am sorry to hear all that you have been through. I hope things start getting better for you. Best of luck and keep your head up. Keep the community posted on your progress.

(OK, now I'm officially checking out of the forum for awhile. As always my PM box is open and I'll be checking it frequently.)
Laminotomy L4/L5 (3.7.97--17 years old)
1999 & 2003 MVA (not at fault both times)
Grade V Tears L4/L5 & L5/L6
2-Level ProDisc® L4/L5 & L5/L6* *lumbosacral transitional vertebra (11.15.03--23 years old)
Dr. Rudolf Bertagnoli -- dr-bertagnoli.com
Pain-free for the last 4.5 yrs.
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
I'm here to help. Only checking PMs currently.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:02 AM

Default considerations for removal

I approached my removal decision is systematic manner based on recent info and factored in the risk that comes with future uncertainty. There were a few presenstations at NASS 2008 on the dynesys that I can post under articles. One concluded that there was correlation with dynesys causing adjacent problems further up the spine. My surgeon confirmed this. Of course, the natural disease process is still not totally understood but that was one factor. Seeing that my nerves felt worse, why risk more degeneration thus complicating future treatments? Either that study or the next one concluded that dynesys did not help discs heal (I was told by my surgeon that dynesys would help heal my discs and this was a big factor in my decision to have the implant). Conversely, degeneration continues with the implant according to the studies. Another factor was risking screw breakage if left in place. Why risk that considering I was more disabled? As far as HA coated screws, they were billed for but my surgeon told me he did not use them once and earlier told me he did use them in his practice. So which is it dude? Get your damn story straight. This is my spine we are talking about Are you starting to understand my frustration here? I will add that I'm feeling much better mentally than I was this time last year when I was ready to drive off a cliff Thelma and Louise style. I've worked with my stabalizatione exercises and am damn sore but a good kind of sore. I've managed to walk about a half mile per day and it doesn't aggravate the nerve pain too much. Atleast not enough to not do it. There was a lot of atrophy as my muscles were shaking when I first started.

Also, I found a nifty database at FDA.gov that lists adverse device reactions reported to the FDA. These are the dynesys submissions MAUDE Database Many of the screw breakages happened at or before 4 years.

I believe that the DSS will have less chance of screw breakage at is more dynamic putting less sudden force on the screws as the dynesys is a "mostly rigid" implant. Calling it semi rigid really a misnomer in my must humble opinion.

John
Dynesys stabalization and decompression May 07
Removed Nov 08 Due to persistant debilitation bilateral nerve pain which resolved with removal

Last edited by johnb; 03-08-2009 at 07:06 AM.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:06 PM

John,

I had my wife read your last post. She was almost a victim of your original surgical clinic. Although relieved, she's very sympithetic to your struggle. The same clinic was ready to fuse 4 cervical vertibrae since one disc was ruptured.

Our prayers are with you.

Bob
04/07 Recurrent Disc Surgery L5/S1
3 Ortho and 1 Neuro Surgeon, 3 MRIs, 1 EGM, 1 Myleogram & 11 EDIs later:
03/27/09 Maverick ADR at L4/L5 & L5/S1
03/27/09 The Lord and Dr. Ritter-Lang returned my life to me.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:36 PM

Default Glad that she stayed clear

I'm gonna leave their names out of all this unless someone wants to talk with my privately. I've worked in sales for the majority of my working career. I never considered myself a "salesman" but more of a consultant. I never used any closing techniques that you get with telemarketers, many used car sales men, or time share folks. If you've been around long enough, you've come into contact with commission sales people that just want to influence you with whatever persuasive trick so they can get paid. My approach was, if I help solve this person's problem, then compensation will flow naturally and I'll pick up referrals and it worked very well for me professionally. However, I've worked with people that use the "sales techniques" such as "standing room" only or the all time favorite "suggestive close". I can almost guarantee that these surgeons have participated in sales training as I recognized sales techniques. Back in early 2002, they got busted defrauding medicare and had to pay back millions. There was a high profile case in our newpaper where a young man was paralyzed from misplaced pedicle screws. As I've said before, the surgeon I used is very skilled. Two people I know first hand, one with a charite and the other a fusion, are doing extremely well. I imagine you hone your technique when your real good at talking folks into surgery.
Dynesys stabalization and decompression May 07
Removed Nov 08 Due to persistant debilitation bilateral nerve pain which resolved with removal