Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Spinal cord stimulators, 2 interesting cases. in the Main forums forums; Apparently, last week was SCS week at GPN. I had 2 complex cervical clients, both with interesting SCS issues. I ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2009, 05:27 AM
Administrator

Default Spinal cord stimulators, 2 interesting cases.

Apparently, last week was SCS week at GPN. I had 2 complex cervical clients, both with interesting SCS issues. I post bits of their story here with their permission in the hope that this will help someone.

Case #1 is a sad story of a patient with 4 failed cervical surgeries and a veritable hardware store implanted in his neck. He had all but given up when he found me many months ago. He had an SCS implantation scheduled later this week, in spite of the fact that he’s 100% midline neck pain and the SCS indications are usually for radicular pain. He was tired of the process and was resigned either to a life of pain and limited activity, or trying the spinal cord stimulator, a solution he was not comfortable with as a ‘symptom masker’.

The patient saw one of the neurosurgeons who cooperates with GPN and there is interesting news. We don’t know if there will be surgical options, but it seems that the fusion at one of the levels is very suspect. He had a thin sliced CT and we are waiting for the eval. The surgeon agreed that the indications are not that great for SCS. If it’s his only option, he may choose to try it, but at this point, he’s evaluating other options and now will be able to make more informed decisions, understanding so much more now.

Case #2 is another story of failed surgeries. This client already has a spinal cord simulator implanted and his pain management doctor had scheduled him for surgery to remove the SCS so he can have MRI to start working up other problems.

Many thanks to Dr. Frank Coufal and staff for working both patients in on short notice and for spending so much time with them. Both patients get to cancel surgery and pursue better options. #2 guy can get a complete workup with CT scan, WITHOUT removing SCS. He cancelled that surgery.

#1 guy may have other options as there are things to work up further. He cancelled his surgery as well. I don’t know where they will wind up, but they can always do the surgeries later if needed. Now, they have a better chance.

All the best.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org