Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss For Canadians: Locked in Pension Funds are now accessible for medical use in the Main forums forums; In case anyone else is in the same boat as I am, with a huge surgery fee and no other ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2009, 01:02 PM

Default For Canadians: Locked in Pension Funds are now accessible for medical use

In case anyone else is in the same boat as I am, with a huge surgery fee and no other way to fund it, this may help.

The Canadian government passed legislation last July that allows locked in pension funds (LIRAs & LIFs) to be taken out for medical needs or financial hardship. You can take out 100% for the medical, and a maximum of $22,500 for financial hardship. It is still liable for tax withholding of 10-30%, but it is a new way to fund a surgery if necessary.

I posted in another thread that I thought this was going to be a god-send to me, until I found out that so much has been lost in the current market that I still don't have enough to go to my preferred surgeon. But the market is coming back up, so there is still hope

You can PM for more details if you like.

Just thought I would pass that on to other Canucks
All conventional therapy exhausted, including spinal injections, PT, massage, etc.
In appeal with Gov't Insurance for Out-of-country coverage for ADR hybrid surgery of above discs.
Recently discovered that I am severely allergic to all common metals used in surgical hardware except for Titanium.