Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Massage Envy??? in the Main forums forums; **** edit to add: if you are considering PT, chiropractic or massage and are status post spine surgery, the decision to ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2009, 02:50 AM
Administrator

Default Massage Envy???

**** edit to add: if you are considering PT, chiropractic or massage and are status post spine surgery, the decision to have such treatment should be make with your surgeon's approval. Even then, there may need to be serious limitations on what they are allowed to do. (Thanks Suhauro!) ***

My spine surgeon recommended chiropractic (on a VERY limited basis). It was very effective at dealing with some interesting post-op symptoms I'll write about in other threads.

My chiropracter recommended massage and suggested a local business called Massage Envy. I looked them up on the internet and they have 810 stores! The local one has been there for 2 years and it seems to be very successful. Their $39 intro massage was wonderful.

They have a membership deal that seems pretty reasonable. Normal price for a massage is $79 (for 1 hour). A membership is $59/month (minimum duration = 6 months.) For that $59, you get a 1 hour massage (or facial or other services I didn't even find out about.) After your initial 1 hour, additional services come at $39. If you miss your month, you keep the 'free' one and roll it into future months. This all seems very reasonable to me.

I was going to sign up but I also located a local therapist who only charges $40 in her home and is very accomplished in her training and practice. (works with olympic team.)

Either way, the chiropractic and massage really helped me. I just wanted to let everyone know.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org

Last edited by mmglobal; 05-09-2009 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:27 AM

Default Reply

Mark, dr fenk meyer just advised that physiotherapy might help me. You and I had basically the same procedure yet I wonder why she didn't mention chiro or massage to me? Now I wonder which I should be doing. I think massage would help most with sore neck/trap muscles.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:00 AM
Administrator

I had a very specific pain in chest and back upon deep inhale or exhale. She described it as a 'blockade'. I understood it to mean a frozen facet joint or rib attachment.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:41 PM

Mark:
Please be careful in choosing your massage therapist. I've been having weekly massages since this all started for me now 8 years ago and my therapist has gotten me through my wrist, shoulder and now spine surgeries. He has truly been a godsend. I did try Massage Envy because someone gave me a gift certificate--not the same and I ended up hurting.

If you know a physical therapist, ask for a recommendation. Otherwise, perhaps one of the ortho surgeons would be knowledgeable (they seem to be more aware of the benefits of massage than neurosurgeons--just IMHO).
Old 05-09-2009, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Cactus lady... great point! At 3-4 weeks post-op it's acctually too early to be considering massage or chiropractic treatment unless it's very carefully controlled. The plates still need to complete their osteointegration where the bone will actually grow into the coating on the plates, reducing the risk of migration and subsidence. For the chiropracter and both therapists, I explained the situation in advance and any time they got anywhere near my prostheses, I warned them and talked them through only mild pressures. I would not even consider PT, massage or chiropractic at less than 6 weeks post-op without involving my surgeon in the discussion and being very careful with the therapists.

Mark