Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Looking for a surgeon in KY/IN area in the Main forums forums; I'm looking for a surgeon that is open minded in ADR in the Louisville KY area. Not at Leatherman ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2009, 03:45 PM

Default Looking for a surgeon in KY/IN area

I'm looking for a surgeon that is open minded in ADR in the Louisville KY area. Not at Leatherman Spine Center. That is where I currently go and my Dr is suggesting a 3rd Discectemy... I need a second opinion. I have called prodisc and I'm waiting for a list of Drs that are trained in the lumbar procedure in the KY and IN area at least to go see, but I'm trying to get that second opinion as soon as possible.

Dr Majd is also out, he will not even discuss the possibility of ADR with anyone since Nortons will not perform the surgery due to insurance not paying. And I won't see him for a general second opinion since he's out of network and I've met my deductable, so I'm looking for some suggestions that I can see if they are in my network.

Discsectemy June L4/L5 2004

Discssectemy L4/L5 January 2007

MRI May 5th - showed "moderate sizd protruding disk in the the left paracentral location at the L4-5 level which appears to a more porminent comparison to the prior examination" and "appears to impinge upon the exiting nerve root"

May 11th Dr Apptment - Told that another Discsectemy could be done.

Looking for Surgeon for second Opinion
Old 05-13-2009, 12:03 AM

I don't know of any surgeons in that area but I wanted you to know that Synthes should get back with you within 1-2 days.
VATS thoracic fusion @ T3-4 and T6-7 on 9/11/09
Fusion w/cage @ C7-T1 on 11/12/09
Old 05-13-2009, 05:43 AM

Dr. Wayne Villaneuva (sp?) is the gold standard in that area. He's a neurosurgeon. He practices mainly at Jewish and Baptist East. Before I had ADR with Dr. Zeegers in 2003 I flew back to Louisville, at the insistence of my sister, to have him evaluate me. I was very impressed. Of the several doctors who evaluated me pre-surgery, he was the only one who mentioned that he thought my facets were a primary pain generator. I saw where he was trained for ADR shortly after it received approval here in the states.

Good luck,

2003 L5S1 Charite
1981 L5S1 Discectomy
Old 05-13-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim M2 View Post
Dr. Wayne Villaneuva (sp?) is the gold standard in that area. He's a neurosurgeon. He practices mainly at Jewish and Baptist East. Before I had ADR with Dr. Zeegers in 2003 I flew back to Louisville, at the insistence of my sister, to have him evaluate me. I was very impressed. Of the several doctors who evaluated me pre-surgery, he was the only one who mentioned that he thought my facets were a primary pain generator. I saw where he was trained for ADR shortly after it received approval here in the states.

Good luck,
He's under my plan but in the same office as my current surgeon, I wonder if that does make a difference or not...

MRI May 5th - showed "moderate sizd protruding disk in the the left paracentral location at the L4-5 level which appears to a more porminent comparison to the prior examination" and "appears to impinge upon the exiting nerve root"

Old 05-13-2009, 01:21 PM

Don't worry about 'hurting his feelings' in regards to them being in the same office. Your decision should not be based on whether or not your current surgeon might get his nose out of joint.

But if you meant something completely different, just ignore this
All conventional therapy exhausted, including spinal injections, PT, massage, etc.
In appeal with Gov't Insurance for Out-of-country coverage for ADR hybrid surgery of above discs.
Recently discovered that I am severely allergic to all common metals used in surgical hardware except for Titanium.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:36 PM

No it's more along the lines of getting an honest second opinion and if ADR will even be a concideration among these Drs

The only problem is, most neurosurgeons in this area are part of that office.

I have made a couple of appointments with some othopedic surgeons though.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:21 AM

In 2003 when I saw Dr. V he was practicing alone. He spent more than 45 minutes with me and wrote a 4 page office notes of all the discussions we had. I ran out of questions or he would have talked with me longer. Can you imagine, some guy from the west coast and he does this? He is very pleasant. He's awesome. My sister tells me the staff at Jewish thinks he is the top surgeon there. I get the impression he takes great pride in his work and the well being of his patients.

Just tell the staff and the good doctors that your friends on the forum are demanding that you see Dr. V.

I also had a L5S1 discectomy in 1981 from Dr. John Guarnashelli (sp?) another neurosurgeon. He's also supposed to be another excellent surgeon, also recommended by my sister. He's probably still practicing.

2003 L5S1 Charite
1981 L5S1 Discectomy