Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss ADR surgery scheduled in the Main forums forums; Well, my Prodisc-C surgery is scheduled for next thursday the 28th. I still have no clear answer on the ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2009, 12:01 AM

Default ADR surgery scheduled

Well, my Prodisc-C surgery is scheduled for next thursday the 28th. I still have no clear answer on the autonomic dysfunction and am having a lot of problems lately, I just cannot go on like this. I hear that spine surgery is a lot less painfull than the brain surgery that I had a few months ago so that is a little comforting. I hope I am making the right decision.

Jason
VATS thoracic fusion @ T3-4 and T6-7 on 9/11/09
Fusion w/cage @ C7-T1 on 11/12/09
Old 05-19-2009, 12:32 AM

Default Adr

Jason, I'll be rooting for you!!!! Where are you having it done? Let us know how things are working out.

Dancing accident in 96. tried PT, acupuncture, pilates, pain mgmt. nothing worked. Epidurals, facet blocks, caudal blocks, discogram. Opiates for ten years, oral prednisone, toradol inj. & more.

Two level spinal fusion with BMS, cages, hardware. due to bone density problems from chemotherapy, they had to go in front and back. Surgery Nov. 6, 2010. So far no regrets.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:33 AM

Jason,

Having never experienced brain surgery, I cannot comment on the difference but this is not a walk in the park either. However, a great big congrats and how soon too.

I wish you luck and hope all turns out well. You'll be on the other side before you get a chance to think about this.

Dale
Old 05-19-2009, 12:57 AM

Thanks for the support everyone.

DS: I'm not expecting a walk in the park by any means, but my doctor says that the posterior fossa decompression is much more painful. Basically have 2 4 inch scars (not sure why he didn't connect them, lol) down the back of my head past C2. Muscles were cut, a part of my skull was removed, and the lamina of c1 was resected by about half. Then they opened up the dura surrounding the brain and sewed in a patch to make it bigger, I was pretty low on spinal fluid for a while. It was pretty brutal. Thanks again for the support.

This pic was about 3 days after the operation.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:25 AM

You will be having surgery two days after me and Jess. I wish you the best of luck, and hope that this is the right thing for all of us.

46 years old. 12-15 years of intermittent pain, 2 years with constant pain.

DDD, L4-5 and L5-S1, pain confirmed by discogram.
PT, ESI's, Facet injection and block, Acupuncture - all no help.

2-level (Prodisc-L) ADR surgery with Dr. Bertagnoli, May 26, 2009.

Currently taking Opana-ER (tapering off) and oxycodone
Old 05-19-2009, 02:39 PM

Jason,

Well, I'm so sorry you're having to have another surgery, but hopefully this will be the fix and set you on your road to recovery and a pain-free life.

Where will you be having your surgery?

Jess

MRI 4/2008 shows bulging disc with annular tear @ 4/L5 and and complete herniation at L5/S1.

9/11/08 Laminectomy , successful to a point...relieved nerve pain, but after 4 months was still having severe disc pain.

Treatments tried: epidural shots, oral pain killers, NSAID's, TENS massage, chiropractic care, deep tissue massage. Oh, and plenty of our homemade wine!

May 26 2009, 2 level ADR, L4-S1, Dr. Bertagnoli, Straubing, Germany
Old 05-19-2009, 03:08 PM

It's going to be done by Dr. Jorge Isaza in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. He participated in the clinical trials so he has done many.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:45 PM

Thumbs up

Jason,

It is natural to have doubts before surgery. I had them, and now facing surgery again, of course, they surface again.
Like most people, I haven't had brain surgery. So no comparison there.

The cervical ADR is supposed to be "easier" than lumbar.
You do have to listen to the doctor's instructions about activity. If they don't give you specific instructions, ask for them. I don't think the admonishment to not do anything that hurts is specific enough.
With lumbar surgery, I was pretty much told what I can and and cannot do and some of it was not something I thought would be restricted.

From what I have seen on the various boards, a lot of people complain about some throat pain after surgery and then say it resolves. From what I understand, you don't have to stay in the hospital as long as lumbar surgery.

I wish you the best next week. I have seven weeks until surgery, but I will be seeing you on the other side. You will soon be offering your opinion to others on this forum.

Runner
Old 05-19-2009, 08:36 PM

Just got back from the NL and I have requested a set of flexion extension MRI's. With my chiari history I think these should have been offered to me a long time ago due to the higher chances of craniocervical instability. If nothing else they should show if the herniation is bigger or smaller in different positions. I'll post the pics after I have them done.