Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Does myleogram work to diagnose bulging disks in the Main forums forums; hi this is my first thread. I was in an accident on feb2 2008 and still feel pain lower and ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2009, 03:42 AM

Unhappy Does myleogram work to diagnose bulging disks

hi this is my first thread. I was in an accident on feb2 2008 and still feel pain lower and mid back and knifing pain in left hip. I am getting a diagnostic Si joint injection praying that will help. ALL ortho dr's seem to think PHYSICAL THERAPY is the cure all but I have been in too much pain..waiting for medi-cal to clear me for HYDORTHERAPY

any suggestions ideas?? My MRI saiys I have 5 bulging disks with mild spurring. How can I prove they are symtomatic
thanks,
,demary
diagnosis in progress
Old 06-03-2009, 05:55 AM
Administrator

The docs usually won't go to myelogram unless the less invasive, or more certain diagnostics don't show anything determinative. If you have 5 compromised discs I'll bet that you'll have problems getting options because the docs won't have any kind of intermediate solution in between conservative treatment and multi-level fusion. If you can get to someone who can apply the right technologies at the right levels, you may have better options than what your local surgeons will have available.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 06-03-2009, 05:44 PM

Hi Demary,

Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately, your pain is a symptom that your discs are the cause. There could be other pain generators too but a discogram will also reveal which discs are causing your pain. If physical therapy hasn't helped for over a year, it's not likely to help any further.

Not sure you need a myleogram - your MRI results seem to be pretty clear.

Waiting for medi-cal to approve any treatment tells us a lot. Your choice of remedies is limited unless you have the funds or perhaps private insurance (good luck) to look outside of federally approved treatments.

Tell us a little more about your situation. We're here to help and support.

Dale
Old 06-04-2009, 01:09 AM

Default than you what are your suggestions if i have money

As it was an accident coming off an airplane i will get some sort of settlement. What kind of options do u suggest? In germany do they have different techniques?
I have damaged muscles tissue and now having an SI injection as my left hip isii pain. The drs say that diskograms dont work i have not tried physical therapy due to level of pain I am waiting for hydrothrapy via medical. whAT DO YOU SUGGEST i DO WITH THE SETTLEMENT MONEY? IS THERE an approach in gemany i should try ? the dr's here said i dont have symptoms of bulging disks
but my lower back hurts when i sit or stand too long.
thanks for swift reply Is it possible that the si joint is causing my back pain
regards
pattti
diagnosis in progress
Old 06-04-2009, 01:16 AM

Default What other technologies are there?

I fell on my right side a year ago feb 2 2008 from the top of an airplane on hard metal, The ortho drs in SF say although my MRI says I have bulging disks they scoff at it. I have two chiropracters that say I do have symptomatic pain. I am now trying ART Active Release Therapy and it helps slowly with muscle spasming but my third chiro thinks I may disk issues. What technologies can I use? The drs also scoff at diskograms. ANYONE hear of prolotherapy or have tried it?
thanks so much
demary:
diagnosis in progress

Last edited by Demary; 06-04-2009 at 01:19 AM.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:31 AM

Wink are there any new technologies?

I fell on my right side a year ago feb 2 2008 from the top of an airplane on hard metal, The ortho drs in SF say although my MRI says I have bulging disks they scoff at it. I have two chiropracters that say I do have symptomatic pain. I am now trying ART Active Release Therapy and it helps slowly with muscle spasming but my third chiro thinks I may disk issues. What technologies can I use? The drs also scoff at diskograms. ANYONE hear of prolotherapy or have tried it?
thanks so much ALSO most dr's do the same thing they do diagnostic tests like raise left and right leg , bend over and yet my back is in pain after the exam about an hour later..... does physical therapy really work and what kind ..pilates may be too harsh
demary:
diagnosis in progress
Old 06-04-2009, 03:10 AM

Hi Demary

First I would like to welcome you to the forum and I am sorry you are in pain

If you have spine issues I would not do any Pilates .

Most of the moves are for healthy spines.

I have been doing pilates for five years and yes it has helped me with core strength and flexibility but I also believe it may have made my spine issues much worse

do plenty of research

All The Best

Gil
L4-L5 Annular fissure with mild central stenosis and moderate facet hypertrophy.
L5-S1DDDDD
L2-L3 Right-sided neural foraminal narrowing at and L3-L4 related to posterolateral hypertrophic spurs and facet hypertrophy.
C3-C4 limited DDD
9 injections Depo. P.T. 13 months 5 dose packs,
Nerve Block Injections.4 ESI S1
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
L4-L5 Microdiscectomy 09 Reherniate 4-2010
Coflex-L Implants L4 to S1
Old 06-04-2009, 01:29 PM

Hi Demary,

Welcome to the forum, although I'm so sorry that you need us.

A myleogram might give a clearer picture of what things LOOK like, but it sounds to me like you need a discogram. They aren't pleasant, but can be very useful in determining if your discs are generating your pain. At certain ages, at least half of all people have some disc(s) bulging, but I believe I read where only +/-10% of those will actually exhibit pain from those compromised discs.

Are you on any medications for pain and/or inflammation? Do you have a pain management doctor? And, if I may ask, what is your age? I had no idea that pain management doctors even existed before I found this forum, and I did some asking around and found one who is extremely compassionate and understanding of how chronic pain effects people. This is important...some pain management docs, from what I've heard, just don't care and/or REALLY listen. If you try one, and she/he doesn't seem to match you, try another.

Regarding different types of procedures in Germany, the answer is YES, there are many more options available to you in Europe than in the United States. Mulit-level artificial disc replacements (I am 9 days post-op from a 2 level performed by Dr. Bertagnoli and doing GREAT), hybrid surgeries, and even a relaively new (I think) technique that takes a part of your own disc via laminectomy/discectomy and regenerates new, healthy disc cells that are then injected back into your damaged disc, called ADCT (google "ADCT spine" to find info).

Please keep us posted. There are so many people here on the forum that KNOW so much, and even those of us that don't want to help in any way that we can.

Jess

MRI 4/2008 shows bulging disc with annular tear @ 4/L5 and and complete herniation at L5/S1.

9/11/08 Laminectomy , successful to a point...relieved nerve pain, but after 4 months was still having severe disc pain.

Treatments tried: epidural shots, oral pain killers, NSAID's, TENS massage, chiropractic care, deep tissue massage. Oh, and plenty of our homemade wine!

May 26 2009, 2 level ADR, L4-S1, Dr. Bertagnoli, Straubing, Germany
Old 06-04-2009, 05:11 PM

Demary,

Something we've learned on forums is that not all doctors are created equal. The fact that you've have confirmation of herniated discs via an MRI, have pain normally associated with herniated discs but your doctors doubt your pain source, have attempted physical therapy with no relief, have tried chiropractic with no relief (not such a good idea) and your doctors don't believe a discogram is a good idea, tells me that it's time for a new doctor.

Jess's idea of a pain management doctor is a good one. They are usually sympathetic to your pain and utilize the correct diagnostic tools.

Germany, Dr. Bertagnoli is probably the best in the world and your choice of doctors is key to a successful surgery, especially when multi-levels are involved. You might want to call Mark,( GPN Artificial Disc Replacement ADR) a spine patient advocate who might have referrels or advice for you.

Pattti, you know very little about your condition and/or remedies. You need to get educated. You need to find out what a disc bulge/herniation is and how/why it causes pain. You need to discover if your doctors are ineffective, it's OK to find another one. You need to discover/explore the various remedies available to you and what you should not do. Mark is a very good place to start. You have only one spine and cannot afford to make a mistake. Any decision you make regarding your spine has to be based on the knowledge you have about your condition, an informed decision. ASK QUESTIONS! Lots of 'em.

BTW, don't think prolotherapy will work at all.

Good luck, Dale

Last edited by dshobbies; 06-04-2009 at 05:23 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:46 AM

Default Demary

Hey you...remember me? I think what other people are saying makes sense. Who was it that said you shouldn't have a discogram? I think this would be good to share with others because from what I remember it sounded just "crackers" to me. I do think your going to possibly have to find some new doctors who can help and I know it will be work because of the medical thing. I waited and waited and waited and things have gotten worse. I can't change the past but wish I hadn't waited so long to see I really did and do need something other than pt.

Pilates was really painful for me. Can you discuss again what makes you most comfortible (standing, lying down, etc) and what is most painful? I'm starting to wonder if the person who said you shouldn't have the discogram may not want you to have this as it might reveal something he doesn't want to look at or have revealed. Creepy thought. I think if you look through these posts you will see questions regarding people's experiences with discograms. No one looks forward to them, but unfortunately they are somewhat the standard diagnostic for the US.

How is the injection working??? Keep us posted!

Dancing accident in 96. tried PT, acupuncture, pilates, pain mgmt. nothing worked. Epidurals, facet blocks, caudal blocks, discogram. Opiates for ten years, oral prednisone, toradol inj. & more.

Two level spinal fusion with BMS, cages, hardware. due to bone density problems from chemotherapy, they had to go in front and back. Surgery Nov. 6, 2010. So far no regrets.