Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Legs numb, but burning 5 Mo. post op in the Main forums forums; Has anybody had a numb feeling in both legs after surgery? It is strange because they burn all the way ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2009, 10:41 PM

Default Legs numb, but burning 5 Mo. post op

Has anybody had a numb feeling in both legs after surgery? It is strange because they burn all the way down too. I am at 5 months post-op on the sixth of this month. I recently stopped my PT until the pain doc OK's me to come back for time in the pool. I also went three days without my Opana-ER at the beginning of last week. He also put me back on Neurontin about 2 weeks ago. Am I feeling some side effect from it? I never felt it pre-op. It is strange, because before my fusion at L5/S1 I only had pain in my lumbar area, the right leg and hips. Opinions would greatly be appreciated.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:46 AM
Administrator

I'm so sorry that you have new symptoms after the surgery. Is it mild? moderate? severe? This kind of leg pain/burning can be quite bad. (see JeffD)

Is it better at 5 months than it was at 3 and 4 months?

Is there something about the surgery or post-op configuration that would indicate a reason for the new leg pain? Has doctor recommended emg? Myelogram?

What's the back pain like now?

I hope you can get some relief. All the best,

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 06-03-2009, 10:21 AM

I too suffer from burning legs at times. I'm about 11 months post microdiscectomy op. I only got this neuropathy in March this year after a 10 minutes on an eliptical trainer. MRI both before and after shows the disc more dehydrated (black disc).

The burns have tapered off, from severe initially to just mild and usually if I've been standing too long or moving too long. My legs also get cold spots. feeling of ants in my legs or grit under my skin as well as the usual water running down legs feeling and feeling wet. It was actually creeping up to my arms at one stage. I'm on neurotin 1800mg a day and I think it helps. I've been purposely skipping doses to see if I can wean myself off it.

Is your numbness significant? does it change during the day?

How do the burns/ numbness present themselves in respect to dermatomes? e.g. just down the back of your legs l5/s1 or all over?

Do you get anything other than burns? symptoms like I've mentioned above?

do the burns happen after activity?

Hows your sleep ?
can you sleep well at night?
Does sleeping on your side if possible rather than your back help? (its helped me - i don't know why)

I'm also on Amitriptyline (anti depressant). Its good as well as keeping my mind in check it also knocks me out at night. I find that good sleep is essential to getting better from this horrible neuropathy that has developed inside me.

I have a theory about this. I think when your disc blows out, either herniated or tear, a whole bunch of chemicals inside the disc escape and can really burn the nerves. My initial burn in march this year really made me suffer. It burnt all night and even when I thought I was ok a week later, any movement wold really flare it up. e.g. 30 minute walk etc. it has slowly gotten better, but I actually think my nerves aren't the same as before or at least they are a lot more sensitised to the now leaky disc. Obviously in your case you don't have the disc any more but perhaps when excising the disc space the chemical irritant bathed the nerves during the operation? I know it sounds far fetch. but it may correlate to what Mark has said about Dr Yeung mentioning a fatty covering over one persons nerve and an almost pink non fatty nerve....

hope you get some sort of pain resolution

Last edited by guymontag; 06-03-2009 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:23 PM

E,

Have you had these symptoms since your surgery or just recently? It sounds a little like something I had/have but was blamed on nerve irritation during surgery.

I woke up with no feeling in either leg followed by such hypersensitivity and burning, I was on Dilaudid for 6 months. I was on crutches for 5 months, able to use my right leg only. Most of the feeling in my right leg returned within 6-12 months but my left leg remains partially numb and weak. Most of the pain has diminished, returning mostly when tired. I remained on Neurontin/Lyrica for 2 years, ultimately choosing the pain over the fog. I now treat symptoms as needed.

Much to my amazement, my pm recommended accupuncture which helped tremendously.

It is my understanding that the burning and numbness can be usual side effects with nerve damage, the pain from which can be inescapable. Increase the Neurontin as necessary (I took 2700mg daily), increasing and tapering slowly. Once comfortable, address other remedies as possible. I know of only 1 person whose severe symptoms remained permanantly.

My thoughts are with you, Dale
Old 06-03-2009, 06:10 PM

Default I had

burning throughout my buttocks and legs bilat and numbness as well post my 2nd discectomy on L4 altho these symptoms were attributed to the scar tissue on the right S1 nerve root as per my OSS sacral nerve roots exit together and there might have been some clumping off tissue so signals are all meshed and end up with a diffuse distribution. 5 years later most of this wore off...

I use Neurontin 1800mg/day for neuropathies and my pain med finishes the remainder of any nerve pain I might have been feeling...

Hope your symptoms will be short lived no matter the cause
Old 06-04-2009, 06:13 PM

The pain has gotten worse the last two weeks. My knees seem to ache now. It feels like my legs are buzzing. I am about to up my nuerontin tomorrow. The doc started me off with one nightly for four days, then two for four days, and then 3 times daily. I saw the counselor at the hospital yesterday and she made some notes to tell the doc. Also my liver enzymes were super high. They prescribed a hydrocodone compound that I have to get made.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmglobal View Post
I'm so sorry that you have new symptoms after the surgery. Is it mild? moderate? severe? This kind of leg pain/burning can be quite bad. (see JeffD)

Is it better at 5 months than it was at 3 and 4 months? Worse

Is there something about the surgery or post-op configuration that would indicate a reason for the new leg pain? Has doctor recommended emg? Myelogram? Not yet, I have an appointment with him on the 18th

What's the back pain like now? Moderate to severe

I hope you can get some relief. All the best,

Mark
Mark,
I feel like I did before surgery. Not as bad, but it is still annoying
Old 06-04-2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymontag View Post
I too suffer from burning legs at times. I'm about 11 months post microdiscectomy op. I only got this neuropathy in March this year after a 10 minutes on an eliptical trainer. MRI both before and after shows the disc more dehydrated (black disc).

The burns have tapered off, from severe initially to just mild and usually if I've been standing too long or moving too long. My legs also get cold spots. feeling of ants in my legs or grit under my skin as well as the usual water running down legs feeling and feeling wet. It was actually creeping up to my arms at one stage. I'm on neurotin 1800mg a day and I think it helps. I've been purposely skipping doses to see if I can wean myself off it.

Is your numbness significant? does it change during the day? More burning than anything. It goes up and down. Never stops

How do the burns/ numbness present themselves in respect to dermatomes? e.g. just down the back of your legs l5/s1 or all over? All over my legs. I feel more numbness in my right foot on the right side today

Do you get anything other than burns? symptoms like I've mentioned above?
Not really
do the burns happen after activity?
No, It always does it now

Hows your sleep ? I have had to take sleep meds ever since surgery. They seem to stop working eventually. I am on Lunesta currently. It is still working.
can you sleep well at night? Only if I am medicated
Does sleeping on your side if possible rather than your back help? (its helped me - i don't know why)
I can't sleep on my side. When I am on my back, I feel pressure in my lumbar area
I'm also on Amitriptyline (anti depressant). Its good as well as keeping my mind in check it also knocks me out at night. I find that good sleep is essential to getting better from this horrible neuropathy that has developed inside me. I am taking 90mg Cymbalta. My wife left me on my 7th week of recovery. I have been depressed with all of this. I am also seeing a counselor about everything

I have a theory about this. I think when your disc blows out, either herniated or tear, a whole bunch of chemicals inside the disc escape and can really burn the nerves. My initial burn in march this year really made me suffer. It burnt all night and even when I thought I was ok a week later, any movement wold really flare it up. e.g. 30 minute walk etc. it has slowly gotten better, but I actually think my nerves aren't the same as before or at least they are a lot more sensitised to the now leaky disc. Obviously in your case you don't have the disc any more but perhaps when excising the disc space the chemical irritant bathed the nerves during the operation? I know it sounds far fetch. but it may correlate to what Mark has said about Dr Yeung mentioning a fatty covering over one persons nerve and an almost pink non fatty nerve....

hope you get some sort of pain resolution
This is the only way I can remeber all of these questions! I appreciate all the advise again. I thought I would be all better and wouldn't have to bug you anymore!
Old 06-05-2009, 08:03 AM

I really feel for you. I certainly understand how you might be feeling now. Even though I've only just been coming back to God, I'm going to pray for you.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:01 AM

Eastex,

Please don't EVER feel like you're bothering us!!! We are here for you and one another.

I'll be keeping you in my thoughts...please keep us posted...on anything! What you're going through is dificult enough, so let us be here to help support you.

Take care,
Jess

MRI 4/2008 shows bulging disc with annular tear @ 4/L5 and and complete herniation at L5/S1.

9/11/08 Laminectomy , successful to a point...relieved nerve pain, but after 4 months was still having severe disc pain.

Treatments tried: epidural shots, oral pain killers, NSAID's, TENS massage, chiropractic care, deep tissue massage. Oh, and plenty of our homemade wine!

May 26 2009, 2 level ADR, L4-S1, Dr. Bertagnoli, Straubing, Germany