Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss Fence sitting and the progression of my spine in the Main forums forums; Ok, just so everyone knows I was offered 2 ADR's back in '03 at L4 and L5S1. Stuff happened ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2009, 03:17 PM

Default Fence sitting and the progression of my spine

Ok, just so everyone knows I was offered 2 ADR's back in '03 at L4 and L5S1.

Stuff happened and I didn't have the surgery so then it was '06 by the time WC auth'd another surgery which would have been fusion at L5S1 and ADR at L4.

Didn't do it.

Xrays yesterday at OSS's and he said... your facets are a mess at L4 and L5 and L5S1 is fusing on it's own so you probably don't have pain at that level anymore but L4 is still problematic. No comment on L3 since that's an annular tear.

Of course I didn't ask about facet degeneration being part of the pain process at this point but the OSS did say "forget about ADR surgery now"~ just keep waiting as long as you can re autofusion.

And recommendation for another ESI as requested (he jokingly commented that was the only time I came to see him). I think he has written me off as a surgical patient after 11 years of seeing him and no spine surgery yet).

As I recall the best view of how facets are doing was with CT scans.. is this correct?
Old 08-21-2009, 05:35 PM

Sorry Maria but at least one decision has been made for you. No ADR. Now you still have to decide if you want fusion surgery or wait until that one takes care of itself. The down side is the pain is still severe. I hope you don't have too long to wait but then again, L3/4 seems to be on the horizon.

Good luck, Dale
Old 08-22-2009, 03:54 AM

Default re surgery

Dale,
Actually if autofusion takes care of my L5S1 problem I'll be quite pleased. It just seems to take so dang long! Will have to see what happens with *the rest*
Old 08-22-2009, 04:54 PM

Default fence sitting

Well, I can really relate to this. I will be having surgery in October. I finally moved to the other side of the fence. I waited over 10 years.

I had waited and now wish I hadn't...stuff happened. I wound up getting cancer while waiting and that weakened my bones so much that I can't do ADR, may have issues fusing due to changed bone density and medications and then my facets became shot. Time will tell what comes of it all. I wish you the best whatever you choose.

I don't think they ever mention that things can happen to you to make a possibility of adr or a fusion less likely to work.

Dancing accident in 96. tried PT, acupuncture, pilates, pain mgmt. nothing worked. Epidurals, facet blocks, caudal blocks, discogram. Opiates for ten years, oral prednisone, toradol inj. & more.

Two level spinal fusion with BMS, cages, hardware. due to bone density problems from chemotherapy, they had to go in front and back. Surgery Nov. 6, 2010. So far no regrets.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:13 PM

So true. That's why I'm trying to push the new surgeon to get things over and done with before the year is out. Plus I don't want to waste another year of my life in pain, hoping for things to improve. Four years is quite long enough, thank you.
All conventional therapy exhausted, including spinal injections, PT, massage, etc.
In appeal with Gov't Insurance for Out-of-country coverage for ADR hybrid surgery of above discs.
Recently discovered that I am severely allergic to all common metals used in surgical hardware except for Titanium.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:44 PM

Default I'm glad

L5S1 fused on it's own. I have long been very afraid to get a fusion in this area. If it's not problematic anymore I'd be truly pleased. It seems I rarely get the type of pain I used to in the very low lumbar or sacral area however being on low dose pain meds for so long I cannot fully state I'm *pain free* in this area. Just think I am. L4 remains problematic and I do wonder if the facet degeneration is part of the pain I have in the a.m. now~ rather like arthritic pain that clears up with moving around a few hours. It generally doesn't linger thru out the day nor is it there at night on a regular basis (as of yet) but there are times when I lay down to sleep that my back just aches like it's spasming away. Clears up with muscle relaxers.

Have recently requested an ESI again altho I need to get my xray films and discuss facet degen with the PM to see should I try a facet injection vs. ESI for relief?

It's not like I have severe pain every day or anything and I'm pretty active for an inactive person w/walking and can even ride a bike now that L5S1 isn't bugging me. Whatta diff that is~ used to not even be able to sit on a bike seat!

My quads get very tired tho when bike riding and I also wonder is that part of my back prob (left quad burns after bike riding at times) or just inactivity and reintroduction to this type of exercise. Don't ride too far but it's fun to be on a bike (bicycle) again
Old 08-30-2009, 01:53 AM
Administrator

Hey Maria... took my bike to HB today... My quads get tired and sore too... that's just being out of shape. Let's get together soon...

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 08-31-2009, 02:54 PM

Default re quads/legs

Yesterday evening I *had to* go to bed .. my legs/feet were killing me. This is rare, at least the leg feeling. It wasn't burning or anything just dead on tiredness aching. I took my nightly Neurontin which I do think helped or perhaps just being off my feet was necessary. Dunno. Or even if it was related to my spine.

This is the confusing thing about being on pain meds and something for neuropathies.. it's difficult to know if some symptoms are related to spine or just plain old aging, tiredness stuff. If it's the latter ... dang! (like blaming my spine actually vs. just plain aging).

Mark~ how's the biking post knee surgery? Call me ~ you're the busy one