Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss cervical, lumbar, feet and my dog in the Main forums forums; This is just a quick update on where I stand today. Haven't had my dog w/me since May. ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2009, 05:04 PM

Default cervical, lumbar, feet and my dog

This is just a quick update on where I stand today.
Haven't had my dog w/me since May. I haven't walked on a regular basis since then however my cervical pain has been at a minimum and I believe this to be a function of not being jerked around (literally) by a 24 lb miniture schnauzer who takes flight when she sees a cat, squirrel, or bird to chase.

My low back has been painful now for easily a month on a daily basis. I have had difficulty in the mornings bending and/or squatting and feel like something is going to painfully pop out my back right about mid center and near waist level.

This feeling sometimes eases off during the day and sometimes is persistant all thru the day.

Talked w/my PM about it last week and he thinks L4 is acting up. I will be seeing my OSS this week to request another lumbar ESI. In the last few years WC has only authorized 2/year which is below the conservative number of 3/year (standard of practice in the community). These ESIs usually work quite well for me and I would like to have at least 3/year until they aren't working for me anymore or I decide that I'm ready for surgery.

I will be getting my dog back next weekend and I worry that my neck will become problematic again and hope that my low back will improve with a more regular walking schedule.

Even though one might think that a dog on the smaller side shouldn't be difficult to control this isn't true with Lola. I think it's because she lives between 2 places with differing methods of discipline. She is 6 years old now and I hope I can still work with her to obey me a bit better because C5/6 gets radically irritated when she yanks on the leash very suddenly.

Lastly my feet are still somewhat problematic with posterior tibial tendonitis bilaterally. I have been trying some new inserts in my tennis shoes and the other day I wore them all day (vs. breaking the time in w/them) and my back was screaming after 6 hours as well as I had burning and weakness in my quadraceps bilaterally and could hardly get up and down the stairs to bring the groceries up.. I ended up in bed at 4p.m. only getting up to use the bathroom and even then needed a cane.

Was better yesterday thankfully and wore my old inserts with tennis shoes.

I'm thinking of using a walking stick while walking the dog and tapping her gently when she starts to get out of line.. or using a choke collar on her (I use a soft one usually). Any comments here?

Meanwhile just the regular routine of pain meds, gabapentin and skelaxin for muscle spasms which seems to help pretty much.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:25 PM
Administrator

Hi Maria... I'm sorry that you are stuck in the endless loop of trying to figure out what works and what doesn't. It's a moving target with many, many variables... and much of it is only partially understood or completely misunderstood.

I'll bet that the benefits of having Lola back will outweigh the negatives.

If you are up this way... how about a Margarita?

Talk to you soon,

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 08-19-2009, 10:29 PM

Dear Maria,
I have a mini Austrailian sheperd. And he also pulls when he sees ANYTHING that he "thinks" is moving. I try to walk him at times, when we are less likely to meet others. the early eveing is the worst time, it seems everyone and their grandmother is out for an evening stroll. I also have taught him, on days when the pain is so bad, that I just walk to this grass area, and he will do his business, and we are done.
I have watched the dog whisperer...and every show on teaching him not to pull, but, he just seems to anyway. So, because I love him so much, I just figured out a different way. He always knows my bad days, and lays at my feet, or cuddles me when I need to lay flat. You are right, the pulling, and jerking of the lease is terrible for the cerivical, and the lumbar. Good luck! I have even tried bringing some of his favorite treats with me on the walks, and when he "sees" something, I pull out his treat to distract him. It does work. Just a thought.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:30 PM

Hey Mark,
I sent you a message, did you receive it? I had a few questions about your cervical surgeries.
Thanks
Catherine K
Old 08-19-2009, 10:58 PM

Hi Maria,

If it weren't for all your health problems, your life would probably be boring, so look on the bright side

OK, I have 2 suggestions. Instead of a choke collar, get a noise maker. Dogs hate noise. You can get something as loud as a child's whistle or perhaps one of those New Year's blow things... anything that makes a loud sound, even a clicker, and just use it whenever she exhibits a behavior that you don't want.

Second, and this is going to sound ridiculous to those who haven't tried it but... look on the web for earth magnates. They used to sell them in golf stores but not recently. They are great for tendonitis. Tape them to your skin at the sight of your pain, via the instruction, nightly. For severe pain, you should begin to see results in about 2-3 weeks, for less, just 1 or 2 nights could do the trick.

Earth magnates have a very high gauss for their size (about a dime) as opposed to those little ones you find in various stores and it's all about the strength (gauss). All magnets are not created equal. The premise is the magnets attract your blood to the sight to promote healing.

If you can't find and want to give it a try, let me know and I'll see if I can find them. I know pain sucks and this is so non-invasive. I don't blame you if you don't believe it, I didn't until I tried it, but hey, what have you go to lose except the cost of the magnets?

Good luck, Dale
Old 08-20-2009, 12:56 AM

Default thanks!

Mark~ margaritas are good medicine

Catherine~ I live in an upstairs apt.w/big front windows and loads of dogs being walked in a.m. and p.m. When I have Lo' we usually walk with other people twice daily at least as she's better when she's around another dog tho can depend on the dog of course. Get a few schnauzers barking and they'll wake the dead...

Dale, don't know what earth magnets are but am quite willing to try them! May adhere them to my whole body thanks.. gotta try this
Will try the noise idea~ clicker or other

Rode a bike today that someone gave me. It's a girls frame and I take a 26inch frame so this one was a bit small. The seat was made for torture.. I'm now in recovery mode tho hoping to get back out and walk this evening.

Lately I feel so good I feel like I'm going thru menopause again hope this is just a phase