Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss New info regarding ADR vs Fusion in the Main forums forums; Ive been browsing the net to learn more about 3 and 4 level fusions when I just happened to come ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2009, 07:34 AM

Default New info regarding ADR vs Fusion

Ive been browsing the net to learn more about 3 and 4 level fusions when I just happened to come across this interesting tid bit of information. I still wish I had my ADR's but this new info kind of makes fusion not look so bad after all. I know its probably not new info, but its the first time I ever read about this and Ive been on back boards for years.

Link:

Dynamic reconstruction of the spine - Google Books

Pg 44 It says:

"In the long term , successful ACDF eliminates motion and thus halts progression of Spondylotic spurs. IN fact, fusion often leads to spur reabsoprtion. With motion preserved in C-TDR, spondylotic spurs may recur leading to late symptom recurrence at the same level. Further follow up may reveal that we have traded a relatively low incidence of adjacent level degeneration for a higher incidence of same level disease. "

ALso,

"With ACDF, the room for error in performing a decompression is high. With C- TDR, performing a decompression may be more critical in achieving succesful short term outcomes. Reports of C-TDR revisions for inadequate decompression have already begun to surface. "

Any comments??

9/22/09 -Dr B opened me up to find a staph infection was eating my vertebrae causing ADR subsidence. Had to remove all 3 ADR's and convert to 3 level fusion. Mostly pain free 2 weeks post op.

9/20/10 - I think I jinxed myself. As soon as I told dr b and dr Sullivan I was doing well (on 6/1/10) I tanked and have experienced the return of pain. My neuro says the new pain is at t4.

Last edited by steve55; 10-17-2009 at 07:36 AM.