Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Oxycodone ?? in the Main forums forums; Hi Can you become addicted to Oxycodone ? If so how do you get off? I have only three left, I ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2009, 08:37 PM

Default Oxycodone ??

Hi

Can you become addicted to Oxycodone ? If so how do you get off?

I have only three left, I find if I do not take one or two I will toss and turn all night.

I have managed to sleep once in a while with out them only if I am really tired.

Help

Thanks

Gil
L4-L5 Annular fissure with mild central stenosis and moderate facet hypertrophy.
L5-S1DDDDD
L2-L3 Right-sided neural foraminal narrowing at and L3-L4 related to posterolateral hypertrophic spurs and facet hypertrophy.
C3-C4 limited DDD
9 injections Depo. P.T. 13 months 5 dose packs,
Nerve Block Injections.4 ESI S1
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
L4-L5 Microdiscectomy 09 Reherniate 4-2010
Coflex-L Implants L4 to S1
Old 10-15-2009, 04:01 PM

Default re oxycodone

Gil,
I think physiologically dependent would be the term utilized and I would imagine if you haven't been taking them on a regular basis but sort of PRN (whenever necessary) you should have an easier time getting off them all together if that is what you would like to do.

If you have been taking them on a regular basis then you might be feeling some withdrawl symptoms such as the tossing and turning all night because your central nervous system is used to a certain level of this medication and it's not being met.

It would be best to taper your drug withdrawl if possible and to make sure you have your PM or doctor involved in this process should you need some medications to help with the symptoms of withdrawl.

Sleep pattern disruption is one part of withdrawl, other symptoms may include gastrointestinal involvement such as bloating, gas, diarrhea, nausea, headache, depression, agitation, irritability and so forth.

Generally the longer you've been on a opiate medication (with regularity) the more intense or difficult the withdrawl. I don't know if you've been weaning yourself and if so perhaps your withdrawl won't be too intense altho it can be. Involve your doctor in this process is my advice.

Last edited by Maria; 10-15-2009 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:23 PM

Gil,

Just speaking from personal experience: Last year, I was on oxycodone for a few months and it wasn't too difficult to get off of them. I did a slow taper, which is advisable if you are weaning down from taking regular narcotics or Gabapentin, even.
This year, been on them a lot longer but really don't have much of a choice, because I am kind of joined at the hip with my meds. This year, like last year, I didn't worry too much about taking them when I needed to.
I believe if you are having a hard time functioning normally because of pain that pain meds can be a Godsend. I can tell that when I am in a lot of pain, that maybe just under the surface, even, I get very angry and get mad at the people around me. Kind of like I feel today...having a difficult time sleeping because of pain, which is no good.

runner
Old 10-17-2009, 12:06 AM

I have been on them (and others) fo an awful long time. Each time I have had to withdraw off them for a period of time I found it much easier to do by gradually lowering the regular dose, eg: dropping 5mg or 10mg at a time, but still taking the balance at your normal time. If you do not take it at regular times I think you should check with your dr. If you just try stop cold turkey you will go through withdrawl symptoms just like a 'junkie' would - shivers, sweaty, clammy, shaky, as well as those mentioned by Maria. If its possible it is much easier to do with the support of your doctor, if not pre-plan it and drop with regular gradual decreases - obviously make sure you have enough to do this so you do not run out and end up going cold turkey for the remainder. Will depend on your current dosage also. I would try drop it every 3 or 4 days, depends on how you handle it and how long you have to do it. Good luck....
Old 10-21-2009, 02:11 AM

Send a message via AIM to Eddie G

I have been on Oxycontin for 6 years now and I use Oxycodone as my breakthrough. I was told that to get off Oxy is to take one less pill on a Monday, take your normal dose on Tuesday, take one less pill again on Wed, normal dose on Thurs, one less pill on Friday, normal on Sat, one less on Sunday and try to stay on one less pill from then on until you are ready to lower your dosage again to start this cycle all over.
This is what I was told, I have not weined myself off Oxy and probably never will unless they find a miracle cure for me.

I found that using cannabis allows me to take half of my prescribed Oxy dosage. I wouldnt recommend it for everyone unless you know it works for you. Tincture and brownies, not smoking of course and only if your state allows it. (Never break the law!) Thats just me though because I know what works for my pain.

Be careful though and ask your doctor first b4 trying anything.
Epidurals and facet injections
5/15/06 Discogram confirmed L4-L5 DDD also an asymptomatic L5-S1 tear
10/24/06 L4-L5 Prodisc surgery with Dr. Goldstein
CAT scans & X-Rays show ossification
Trigger Point Injections, Medial Branch Blocks, Acupuncture, Weekly Deep Tissue Massage
10/27/08 Discogram (positive L5-S1)
11/25/08 L5-S1 fusion with Dr. Goldstein
FAILED BACK SYNDROME
Liberty Mutual WC
Old 10-21-2009, 03:30 AM

Hi All

I am off the oxy did a quick taper and it worked the pain I now have is very minimal.

Thank All of you for the replies and suggestions.

Eddie I am a big fan of Cannabis how ever quit about 13 years ago I also found if I smoked it it would make my pain worse, eating is better

Thank You

Gil
L4-L5 Annular fissure with mild central stenosis and moderate facet hypertrophy.
L5-S1DDDDD
L2-L3 Right-sided neural foraminal narrowing at and L3-L4 related to posterolateral hypertrophic spurs and facet hypertrophy.
C3-C4 limited DDD
9 injections Depo. P.T. 13 months 5 dose packs,
Nerve Block Injections.4 ESI S1
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
L4-L5 Microdiscectomy 09 Reherniate 4-2010
Coflex-L Implants L4 to S1
Old 10-21-2009, 05:45 PM

Default great news

Hey Gil,
that's excellent re off the drug and minimal pain! thanks for sharing