Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss MRI reporting in the Main forums forums; I had full lumbar and T spine sections scanned on July 1 following weeks of severe radiating pain in left ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2009, 02:16 AM

Default MRI reporting

I had full lumbar and T spine sections scanned on July 1 following weeks of severe radiating pain in left loin area. The report mentioned defects noted from T11 down to L2.
I assumed other T and L discs were therefore ok. However looking at the axial images on the CD, albeit with an untrained eye, many discs in lumbar and t spine appear to be ruptured like squashed grapes and some are black. This has caused me a lot of worry. The doctor also did not make any mention of it.
If a scan is done, do they just report on what is likely causing the particular pain and not comment on other disc defects? the report actually says no lumbar herniations exist.
Attached are some of the worrying images.

The MRI report .....

Findings: Small osteophytes are seen at the vertebral margins in the lower dorsal spine.
Slight reduction in disc height and signal is seen at T12/L1 and L1/2. Minor annulus bulging is seen at these levels.
Behind the lower portion of the body of T11 there is an oval, approximately 12 x 9 x 5mm
soft tissue/disc density structure on the posterolateral aspect of the vertebral body. The
inferior margin of this structure extends close to the T11/12 disc. This lesion shows
cumferential/marginal enhancement on Gadolinium administration, with a central low
density non-enhancing focus. There is resultant compression of the thecal sac and this
structure is almost certainly compressing the forming left T11 nerve root. There are no
other similar lesions seen.
Cord signal is normal. There is no lumbar disc herniation or nerve root compromise.

Conclusion: Degenerative disc disease from T11to L2. Lesion in the left
posterolateral aspect of the inferior portion of the T11 vertebral body close to the
T11/12 disc most likely represents a sequestrated herniated disc fragment. This is
causing compression to the forming left T11 nerve root. A focal epidural abscess
accounting for this appearance is thought unlikely given the low signal of this
structure on T2 weighted imaging. A dural based lesion
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lumbar.jpg (11.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg lumbar2.jpg (10.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg t1.jpg (11.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg t5.jpg (11.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg t6.jpg (13.4 KB, 4 views)