Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Seattle Doctors?...also Ortho or Neuro? in the Main forums forums; I have seen four spine surgeons in the Seattle area...all orthopaedic. Anyone know of recommendations for the Seattle-Tacoma......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2010, 10:12 PM

Default Seattle Doctors?...also Ortho or Neuro?

I have seen four spine surgeons in the Seattle area...all orthopaedic.

Anyone know of recommendations for the Seattle-Tacoma...even Portland, Oregon area for spine surgeons?

Also....what are the thoughts between an orthopaedic surgeon and a neurosurgeon??

I am pursuing a 2-level ADR (or secondarily, a hybrid surgery combining a fusion and 1-level ADR....or worst case...a 2-level fusion).

Thanks!
E
Old 06-16-2010, 07:14 AM

Send a message via MSN to Keano16 Send a message via Skype™ to Keano16

Maybe for ADR it would be little better to go for orthopedic surgeon.

Personally for most often procedures like discectomy I prefer neurosurgeon as I think their training and education during their college is different, and in my opinion better, than in orthopedists.

But, after normal education at college, booth neurosurgeons and orthopedic surgeons who want to work with spine patients specialize in spinal surgery. In my country, all leading spinal surgeons are neurosurgeons, but if I noted correctly, in USA situation is completely different and leading names are mostly orthopedists.

I suggest that you read: Neurosurgeon or Orthopedic Surgeon? Does it Matter

2005 - 2012: Rich personal experience with spinal disorders and various treatments (surgical, therapeutic, diagnostic)
Co-Founder: Vertebris Internationl Spine Hospital
Founder: Spinoteka - Society for Spine Diseases
Old 06-17-2010, 05:06 AM

Michael Schlitt - neuro
Jay Williams - ortho

Williams has been doing charite since about 2003.

A couple of former coworkers liked Schlitt. One had a two level cervical by Schlitt. Both coworkers liked him. I got a second opinion for L5S1 fusion from Schlitt and I thought he was pretty smart.

2003 L5S1 Charite
1981 L5S1 Discectomy
Old 06-22-2010, 11:39 PM
Administrator

The heavy hitter in the northwest is Jens Chapman. I've seen him presenting at the conference is for years and now several people have been to him for successful surgeries. If you search for his name on this forum you'll find some. His office is very responsive. The only thing that I have to take exceptional with, is that he requires his patients to get off of pain meds before surgery. I don't know if he does this in all cases were only and the difficult cases that I've presented to him.

On the Ortho vs. Neuro question, I don't even pay attention to that because I'm dealing almost exclusively with surgeons who only specialize in spine. IMHO, if you are all spine all the time it doesn't matter if you're training focused on Ortho or Neuro. I believe that there is no "best spine surgeon and the world". If you are looking for and endoscopic discectomy, you are looking for a different surgeon then if you are looking for a total disc replacement or scoliosis repair. Within spine you want to get down to the specifics specialty that you need. Being with the surgeon who developed the procedure and taught the procedure is completely different than being with the surgeon who's just learned it and doesn't have the benefit of learning so much the hard way.

Roberto, thanks for posting that link. Nice find.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org