Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Radiofrequency Ablation for Nerve Pain in the Main forums forums; Hello, I have a somewhat unique situation in that my pain is is my coccyx. Typically people with coccyx pain ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2006, 09:17 PM

Default Radiofrequency Ablation for Nerve Pain

Hello,

I have a somewhat unique situation in that my pain is is my coccyx. Typically people with coccyx pain aggravate it when sitting, and get relief when standing. With me, standing, walking and sitting ALL cause pain. I went to see the neurosurgeon, Dr. Aaron Filler, who ordered MR Neurography. From that he saw an abnormaliity in the pudendal nerve. He ended up referring me to another neurologist who does EMG guided nerve blocks for further diagnosis. The results of the pudendal block were mixed. Last week, he tried a block of the sacrococcygeal nerve. The injection elicited a tremendous pain response, which he said indicated we had targeted a significant pain generator. Based upon this, he is recommending a procedure he does in which he uses radiofrequency ablation on the nerve which he says can provide 6 months or more of pain relief. I am familiar with RF ablation used to target discogenic pain in procedures like IDET, Nucleoplasty and Thermal Annuloplasty; and I know results are mixed and pain relief is usually temporary. So 6 months relief sounds like a pretty straightforward and realistic prognosis he's giving me; but I just don't know anything about the use of RF ablation on specific nerves, vis-a-vis for discogenic pain. The doctor says there is virtually no downside or significant risk to the procedure; but I'd like to confirm that elsewhere. I would really appreciate any information on this anyone might have that might help.

Stephen
Old 04-18-2013, 01:09 PM

Default what

what

Edit by mmglobal... I removed the quoted post that was simply spam BS... looking to post links to irrelevant data. I'm leaving the rest of your post so you don't wonder where it went... I try to moderate as little as possible.

Last edited by mmglobal; 04-19-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:33 PM

Stephen,

I personally have not had my nerves ablated.
I was forced to think about it if the facet blocks I had a time or two actually worked. So I asked people who had it done.
There are downsides and if this doc is saying there are not, he probably hasn't had it done to him.
The upside is relief from pain. The downsides from talking to people are that 1) it has to be repeated, 2) the pain can come back worse.
You might want to ask the neurologist about that.
Also this sounds like a painful procedure. I used to have ESIs, and facet blocks done without conscious sedation. It is so much better with it. The old doctor who believed in torture, hit a nerve a time or two, that is painful.

Runner